1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My first kit build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by adamaarts, Mar 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. adamaarts

adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    Ive been itching for a while now to build my own bass. I've been doing a lot of woodworking lately and it just kind of clicked one day that I could probably tackle it since I have most of the tools already and experience with repairs and setup. I figured a lot would be a cool place to start and get some more actual experience with it before starting from scratch.

I ordered this kit from tomtop for ~$75, and from what I can tell it's about the same kit everywhere and this one was much cheaper. It came with some dented fret work so I ended up ordering new ones from Fender. Aside from that the only other cost was paint, clear, and some inlay decals. I bought a few tools as well but those will get used plenty so I'm not counting them haha.

Basically a jazz build. I wanted the 60's CAR Jazz bass style with block inlays and matching headstock. My paint work was not perfect but really good I think, but either way I decided to relic it. I've never done that before either and wanted to give it a try as well. I also antique glazed the neck and gave the neck and fretboard a tung oil finish. I am very happy how it came out, and the fretwork came out excellent! It plays absolutely perfect.

The only thing left now is to figure out why the bridge ground wire isn't working even though it's connected at both ends. Anyway, enjoy some pics. I'll post sound clips once I figure out the ground issue.

IMG_4495.JPG IMG_4553.JPG IMG_4565.JPG IMG_4566.JPG IMG_4590.JPG IMG_4602.JPG IMG_4611.JPG IMG_4623.JPG IMG_4632.JPG IMG_4644.JPG IMG_4654.JPG IMG_4659.JPG IMG_4660.JPG IMG_4687.JPG IMG_4712.JPG IMG_4714.JPG IMG_4715.JPG IMG_4718.JPG IMG_4719.JPG

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Sick! I did the P build back in high school with a friend (he made a Tele) and we had a great time. I actually ended up using it for about a year in college as my main player. Sounded and played well enough!

Leiria likes this.
  3. That looks really nice. Love that color. The body on that kit looked nice natural. I might have been tempted to have done a transparent finish on it. You usually dont see kit bodies with that well matched woods.

BnB

adamaarts likes this.
  4. Looks good. Is the spray can in one of the pictures what you used for the finish? I’m not usually big on relics but that’s not bad and you have it a fairly realistic wear pattern which some don’t.

5. seamus bass

seamus bass

Oct 23, 2007
    my house
    The inlays make that bass, how was the neck besides the frets? Easy setup/intonation/stay in tune?

6. adamaarts

adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Yea it was Krylon Shimmer Metallic Something something for the red and a can of high gloss clear.

I did about 8 coats of red, which is what it took to get evenly spread and not show as much silvery glitter (which was weird, the first few coats were almost all silver) and then I think about 6 coats of clear, which in the future I'd do more because even with light sanding there were spots where it definitely went through.

I totally don't like relic jobs either, and to make sure I did it right and did go and mark where my hand and arm rub the body as well as the strap, drops, etc. But in reality I was just trying to cover up some paint flaws lol.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  7. adamaarts

adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    I love the neck. It's been a while since I've played a jazz but I do think it's noticabely thicker than a jazz neck, which I love since all my warwicks got that chunky neck action.

Since I was able to do the leveling and all that, the action is super low and plays like an absolute dream. Intonation is ok so far, i haven't dialed it in perfectly quite yet, just close enough to play it. I figured the neck would need a day or two to adjust itself and then I can go and fine tune it all.

seamus bass likes this.