My First lesson

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Howard K, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    Hi Steve
    I gave my first lesson last night - I was pretty concerned that I might put the guy off for life, but it seemed to go really well! He went away with some homework (let's hope he works on that more than I do eh!), a few pointers on more appropriate technique - and he booked another lesson this morning, so I guess it went OK?!

I certainly enjoyed it anyway - although I REALLY hope he works on what I gave him or there might not be anywhere to go next lesson ....ahem :rolleyes:

The hardest part was being sparing with what I taught... I kind of wanted to say "...and look at all this! isnt it cooool!", but I realised I had to hold back a bit and let him grasp the basics.

FYI - I started by teaching him the A minor scale (after a few technique tips that is), he's a rock player, and so I listened to a few tracks from bands he'd said he was into, I'd heard a few minor riffs so I figured that was perhaps a better starting point than the major scale, which he would have probably hated! Hopefully it wasnt the wrong angle to take?!
    I talked about quarter notes vs 8th notes a little and how to count them - and advise him to buy a metronome!

anyway, that's all folks, just thought i'd share :)
  2. Hello Howard,

The good thing about lessons is that you get to reveal to your students stuff that they didn't even know or styles of playing that they haven't even considered/encountered.

........Maybe teaching him about major keys will infact be a big revelation to him (just kidding) :p .

But I guess the only way to get them to practice is to be able to find out what makes them "tick" as musos, ie what musically moves them. But hey, you never know where it might take the both of you's. A Hawaiian-based bass guitarist named Gonzo said that the best way to get an idea of how much you know about a subject is to actually teach it to somebody else.
  3. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    hi Howard,

sounds like your first teaching experience was painless enough... :D

Starting with an Aminor scale is fine - the main reason I start with the major is that there are no 'exceptions' with major key harmony, whereas there are three different kinds of 'minor scale' (not counting the modes with minor thirds), so if your student goes off and starts reading nonsense posted on activebass or somewhere about melodic and harmonic minor scales, he's going to get mighty confused... :eek:

That said, I'm sure it'll be fine - the most important thing is that he went away with musical stuff to work on, which it seems like he did from what you said.

Well done!

4. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    hmm, yes, multiple minor scales... very good point! hopefully he wont ask the question 'before he's ready'? :D

next lesson is in a week or so, i'm looking forward to it. this guy has fairly 'self taught' technique, so i'm being a but of a hitler on that front... i'm going tohold off on the theory as much as posisble until he's got his fingers a bit more sorted.

i also have another student on thursday - a friend who's been asking me for ages.