1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My first live show ever!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by carlthegroover, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Hey guys, I just wanna share a vid of me playing bass on my first presentation ever, last saturday march 2nd at my current music college. It was awesome to finally play to an audience, and I'm looking forward to doing it again! :bassist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R6CHK7Qngk

Hope you enjoy it. I'd also appreciate some constructive criticism on my and our playing, stage presence, and so on. Every bit helps.

P.S. The language is Spanish, and so are the lyrics of the songs (latino rock music).

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    That P bass was sounding HUGE. Congrats and best of luck with many more.

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    You were good the guitar player needed a Red Bull or something was it her first time also? I liked the song crowd seemed to like it also good job.

4. Yeah, it did. And it's awesome considering it's a Squier. Not dissing the brand, just didn't expect that tone. Thanks, I certainly hope to be onstage a lot more often from now on.

5. Thanks. Yeah, she was probably a bit too nervous; interestingly, I don't think it was her first time, but she might have felt a lot less confident on the solos because she didn't learn them properly (the lead guitarist went AWOL on us).

We played a couple covers in Spanish. I liked them too.

6. Just bumpin' my own thread. Seriously, guys, your feedback on this presentation would help out a newbie in playing shows. Cheers!

7. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    It was good, man! Playing was solid, tone was good (especially considering it was what looked like a phone camera; sure it was actually way better). I would say you could improve on stage presence/persona, though. Which is totally fair given it was your first time! I was abysmally horrified at my first live performance, and I definitely didn't hold it down as well as you did here.

While you were not the stand-immobile-in-the-corner type, you should try getting your groove on a little bit more. After all, you're the bassist laying down the big bottom, don't be afraid to feel it! I always tell my students (and me!) to try and look like they're having the fun I know they are when playing; the audience always notices

One last thing, and this strictly IMHO, but (while normally fond of fedoras) I wasn't really diggin the hat too much. Couldn't say why that is, though...

8. Thanks for the feedback, man, I do appreciate it and I will take all your points into account for the next show. I reckon my on stage personna wasn't all that great, but that's something I have to work on (as well as the nervousness). I have to get used to perform live, too, that's kind of a given.

At the very least, I achieved my two goals for this performance: play both songs as best as I possibly could, and being up front at least moving to the beat, not hiding. As for the groovy attitude, I have to admit both my feelings of excitement and nervousness made my performance a bit poorer as I felt my fingers and body a bit weaker than usual. I guess I just have to own my emotions and just let myself enjoy the moment. Which I did, a lot, but I was still pretty nervous.

As for the hat, duly noted, and thanks for the sincere opinion on it. I happen to love fedoras myself, so I will keep wearing them. Maybe it was the colour or the shape that didn't please you, personally?

P.S. It was shot with a regular camera, so I reckon the quality isn't the best, but I think my sis did a pretty good job all things considered.

9. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    Hey man, as I said, considering it was your first live outing, you did a pretty great job! The stuff i mentioned as critique is stuff I'm sure you would naturally develop as you play more; that's how I did it, and I'm sure how most people do it! You definitely had your priorities right, though, as the playing was really solid. And all things considered, the camera work was fine. On those cameras it is often very hard to get an accurate representation of the bass punch/tone, though, so I was only suggesting that your sound was even better in the room!

Maybe the issue with the fedora was the combo of it and the leather jacket; it's almost like you're trying to cover/hide yourself in the clothes to mask the nervousness. Not that either of those fashion choices are bad (i see them all the time), but it just didn't work for me here.

10. GokceKacmaz

GokceKacmaz

Feb 18, 2008
    guitars remained very behind...

AOS

Bass music

11. GKevinK

GKevinK

May 23, 2008
    Glen Burnie, MD
    Very good effort for a first performance! I think my main thoughts were that the arrangement seemed to be set with spaces for lead guitar parts, and the girl was clearly mostly playing rhythm. I was most of the way through the video before I noticed that there appeared to be a guy standing behind a keyboard towards the back... and I couldn't hear him at all. Sound tech failure?

12. Thanks again, Sloppy Phil. I believe so too, that's why I wanna be out there playing asap. I should probably go find out some open mics. I have to thank my beloved sis for the camera work here. She did a pretty good job considering she's not a pro. It was better, but with some tech problems here and there.

As for the fedora, I just wore it because I got used to wear it at my classes, so it was all too natural. I wasn't really trying to hide behind it... at least not consciously.

13. Thanks! Yeah, I guess the original songs are arranged that way, but the girl didn't really have it in her to play the solos. I think she was a tad too nervous, despite the fact that she had performed live before. But maybe it was only as a rhythm guitarist.

That guy was my teacher for the ensemble. The actual keyboard player bailed and he had to come in. I guess there was a problem with the mix, because there is supposed to be a violin playing, but you can't hear the violin at all... and you can barely see the violinist behind the keys. Probably a faulty tech guy.

14. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    Good job. Congratulations on your first performance.

15. Um, ok... is that you on the vid? If so, which one?

EDIT: I think that link is on your sig, but since it's blended with the text I couldn't tell it was one at first. Yeah, the guitarist lagged behind a bit, 'cause I think she was a bit nervous. On rehearsals she sounded fine (except for the solos, she needs to practice lead guitar more).

16. Thanks! I certainly enjoyed it a whole lot.

I'm bound to play with a different group in two months. Now it seems like there will be ska/ reggae tunes. So it's going to be a bit of a challenge considering I'm pretty much a rock guy, but I've been willing to try that genre out for a while.

17. rdpbass

rdpbass Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2005
    Utah
    AWSOME, you already move more than me.

18. Thanks! I did try to move to the beat throughout the whole songs, as I felt I would get more nervous and sloppy if I didn't. Well, in general I just play sloppier if I don't tap my foot or bob my head to the beat. I also think my moving "masqueraded" my nervousness a little bit.

19. GokceKacmaz

GokceKacmaz

Feb 18, 2008
    Yes, it is me on the vid and both of the bassists are the same person..

AOS

Bass music