1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

my first mod - cs-3 compressor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by narcopolo, Apr 24, 2010.

1. narcopolo

narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    so i did the bass mod for the boss compression/sustainer. it was really easy, the pedal sounds great, and the parts were like 9 bucks with shipping. feeling pretty full of myself.
    one problem - the new capacitors are huge! i cant get the bottom on. is there some kind of extended bottom (haha)?

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    What I had to do was find places inside the body where the caps would fit (with the bottom screwed on) and then bent the legs of the caps so they snaked around from where the cap "body" would fit, to where the legs needed to be soldered in. Then I covered the legs with shrink tubing (to prevent shorting against other components) before soldering them in. For example, I fit the input cap up behind the daughterboard that holds the pots. Its legs make a kind of Z shape en route.

3. narcopolo

narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    wow, that really makes me wish i hadn't trimmed the leads as i soldered. i guess that's what's known as a "rookie mistake"

4. I don't know much about the mod but the a replacement cap will probably set you back about 20c. Buy 10.

5. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Does someone sell a kit?

6. faceinbass

faceinbass

Apr 20, 2008
    KCMO
    I have Wampler's mods for this, values and locations, from his book. :ninja:

They are supposed to reduce noise and increase bass freq. pass through.

I made the same mistake of soldering before fitting. :crying:

The pedal is still on my bench... :scowl:

7. narcopolo

narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    not to my knowledge. i googled cs-3 bass mod and a chart came up with recommendations for part replacements. one of the caps is effing huge, though! is there no way to make the cavity deeper? like a lid that would fit but has a larger pocket?

8. narcopolo

narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    i wish i had gotten more caps - i've got a DOD distortion pedal i'd like to tinker with. that said, the caps can get pricier than you might think.