Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my first modulus...my first 6 string!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ugo, Jul 26, 2005.

1. ugo

ugo

Jan 8, 2005
    Northern VA
    Sound Design Coordinator, Camel Audio | Designer, Ugo Audio
    killing 3 proverbial birds with one bass...

1. the 15 year lust for a modulus quantum
    2. the desire to get a 6 string
    3. the want for a bass that can stand up to synths even better than my Tune

the solution: a 97' Q6 with bartolini's and a 2tek.

[​IMG]

i recieved it last week.

i am a happy bassist. :)

-ugo

2. Sweet! The tinted neck to match the finish is a really nice touch, too--I don't know if Modulus still offers that as an option.

Mike

3. ugo

ugo

Jan 8, 2005
    Northern VA
    the tint was a rather cool surprise. the last owner didnt mention the tint in his item description (he neglected to mention a few other things too :rolleyes: ) and his pics were really dark so i didnt know until i recieved the bass.

i called modulus' customer support to ask them a few questions about the bass and they said that they dont offer the tint anymore. apparently its a translucent gloss coat over the graphite, rather than tinted graphite.

-ugo

4. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

I'm getting some serious GAS at the moment. Will you guys stop posting pictures of god-like basses please :|

5. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Sweet bass! Love the color. Graphite + 2Tek must be super resonant...

Marshall

6. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    i wanted so bad to bid on that bass. congrats it's a beaut!

7. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Congrats on a cool bass!

8. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
  9. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Yum! It's sweet like a raspberry sauce dipped candy apple.

And congratulations on getting your dream bass. I'll bet that 15 year wait was worth it, right? (I've been down that road- GAS for 10+ years and finally getting that object of your desire, and finding out it's the best thing since pizza.)

10. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    killer bass! congrats! :bassist:

11. ugo

ugo

Jan 8, 2005
    Northern VA
    thanks for the contrats folks! :)

[​IMG]

yeah, it really is. the sustain, clarity, and detail is amazing. you hear everything. i cant get over how even every note is. interestingly, the slap isnt as powerfull as i had expected. its defintely quite good, but slapping is as even as any other technique on the bass, so it doesnt have quite as much 'over the top' punch as i would have expected. the tap sure is extra articulated though.

edit: i totally take back what i said about the slap. this bass is so even and perfect that some of its abilities kind of sneek up on me. the equal power thing just keeps throwing off my usual frame of refference. i keep not realizing just how good certain aspects of this bass really are until i go back to my other basses and hear the difference. good god, even the slap is excellent. [​IMG] what a bass!

two aspects that especially grab me are how solid and clear, yet still textured, the lows are...and how wonderfully clean, smooth, and strong the upper frets are. they really sing. they take to effects very well too.

well, in case it makes you feel any better, contrary to the item description, it doesnt have a truss rod and it is not in the 'A+ perfect' condition he said it was. its got a couple of pretty good chips and scratches, in addition to many more minor blemishes. it was also filthy...it took a good while to clean it, and it still could use more around the pickup routs and in between the bridge parts. it is one hell of a bass though.

[quote="Dincrest]Yum! It's sweet like a raspberry sauce dipped candy apple.[/quote]

its an interesting finish...its the red over blue, so you get two different shades of purple. in bright sunlight, the colors really stand out, but in indoor shade, its a very dark redish purple.

yeah, this bass really is something else. it had been a while since i had last played a modulus too. this thing feels and sounds every bit as good as i had hoped....except probably better, thanks to the 2tek.

it actually took about 4 days for it to sink in that the bass really was mine...that it was ok...and that it wasnt going away. it was hard to believe that i really had bought a modulus. in fact even now, everytime i turn my head and see it, i go "wow...i really have a modulus."

-ugo

12. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Wow!! That's beautiful!!

13. ugo

ugo

Jan 8, 2005
    Northern VA
    i totally take back what i said earlier about the slap. this bass is so even and perfect that some of its abilities kind of sneek up on me. the equal power thing just keeps throwing off my usual frame of refference. i keep not realizing just how good certain aspects of this bass really are until i go back to my other basses and hear the difference. good god, the slap is excellent! (what was i thinking?) [​IMG] what a bass! [​IMG]

-ugo

14. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Man, ain't that the best feeling? I remember I had been GASing for a Warwick ever since I was 16 (I'm 27 now) and I recently scored an awesome '97 Corvette from a TBer back in April. Whenever I open up the case I too think, "damn, I really have one! I really have the bass I've been dreaming about since I was a kid!" Yeah, I know Warwick ain't as super-statusy as Modulus, but that feeling of relief + awe of having waited so long and your dreams exceeded is indescribable. Especially when that bass imparts the "mojo" that makes you play better than you've ever played before.

Now go give your Modulus a hug on my behalf.

15. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    Welcome to the club! I've owned a Modulus for 14 years with the exception of a three or four month period where I traded in my first one, and bought another once I realized how much I missed it.
    The finish on your neck is just incredible! I wonder if there is anyone out there who can offer that kind of thing aftermarket? My modulus is Blackstone so the straight composite color matches up well.
    Nice score and don't sweat the dings too much. If you take care of a Modulus it will practically stay in the same shape forever (except corrosion on the pesky neck bolts).
    ENJOY

16. ugo

ugo

Jan 8, 2005
    Northern VA
    yup, thats exactly it. its quite a unique feeling.
    hell, i still have a modulus catalog i've been hanging on to since back then...and now theres a Q6 in the stand right next to me.

:D

thanks, yeah it really is a nice touch to look down and see that graphite flake pattern in purple. the camera i was using the other day didnt have a lense for macro work, or else i would have taken some closer shots. i'll post some better pics of the neck sometime down the road.

you probably could find someone to do the finish work, but i suspect it would likely cost more than its really worth. of course, as you said...with a blackstone finish, you already have a matching neck. ;)

the previous owner may have been a little rough on the bass, and god only knows what some of that goop and funk i cleaned off of it was, but thankfully it looks like he played it with a pretty light touch. the frets have virtually no wear on them. i play with a pretty light grip too and i take care of my basses, so its come to a good home. :)

-ugo

17. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Man i wish i could afford one.

Congrats :)

18. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    Best of all you've got chrome hardware! I had gold on my first Modulus and grew to dislike it. Chrome or black is the way to go!

19. BuffaloBob4343

BuffaloBob4343 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Congrats on a beautiful instrument, and it sure is nice to see a Modulus thread get some play!

I watched your guitar on Ebay, although I was not in the market to buy one at the moment. That's too bad about the misrepresentation of the condition. That tends to happen on Ebay sometimes. But I love the fact that you are so happy with it otherwise that those chips and dings have become minor for you now that you've been playing it!

I bought my first Modulus off the Bay myself and I am every bit as thrilled with it as you are with yours. And fortunately, the original owner babied mine to the point that there was not a single defect on the bass. Since I've finally found some fellow Modulus players to share with, I will post my pictures, too!

Attached Files: