Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My first multi tracks bass composition

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Steven Melensen, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Steven Melensen

Steven Melensen

Aug 2, 2005
  2. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    I really liked it. :)

It seems to be a little bit of rhythm sometimes(especially the palm slap) but i liked the melody..

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I didn't really care for it.

4. fallon

fallon

Jul 6, 2003
    Scotland

how do i go about downloading the file?

5. Hey abark, how about you say why you didn't like it?

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Click the link. Scroll to the bottom of the page. Select "free". On the next page that loads, there will be a timer saying "you have to wait this long before you can download it" It's usually like 10-15 seconds. When the timer is up, a link appears to download the file.

It's a pain in the ass I know, free hosting often is.

As far as the track. It doesn't really have any focus, I think you might have some nice ideas here and there, but the groove gets lost a few times, the backbeat is kind of distracting and inconsistent, and the whole melody just feels like a meandering solo that isn't really going anywhere.

there are a couple spots where the beat definitely hiccups, did you loop the underlying groove incorrectly perhaps?

I wouldn't really call it a composition, it's basically just an embellished solo, nothing wrong with that, just one of those things.

7. fallon

fallon

Jul 6, 2003
    Scotland
    Thanks wrong! I'm very impatient but I'm happy to say I did get a listen to the tune and I think its quite dark and solemn and it sounds like a themed piece of music covered by a bass player if that makes any sense!

8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Alright. First and foremost, I'm not the biggest fan of solo bass music, so by all means discredit or ignore my feelings. Second, I don't care for bass as a solo instrument.

I'm not a fan of his tone. Delicate, crisp, articulate, etc; generally are not words that describe tones that I enjoy listening to.

Musically, all I could think about while I was listening to it was how I rather have heard the lead played by guitar. Also the addition real drums or percussion to propel the track more.

I think that I my biggest problem with solo bass music. I've yet to hear some that I feel wouldn't benefit from the addition of other instruments. This relates back to my feeling that bass is boring as a solo voice.

Does that explain my opinion well enough?

Peace,
    Adam

9. fallon

fallon

Jul 6, 2003
    Scotland

Seems like you don't like the bass played in a solo context and thats fine as you are entitled to your opinion,however I think many will disagree and need I say anymore?
    Stay cool nonetheless

10. Steven Melensen

Steven Melensen

Aug 2, 2005
    Thanks for listening guys.

First Abark, I knew that you would write that kind of comments, so I'm not mad at you.

Wrong Robot, it's strange because I receive the opposite comments (about not going anywhere). The guy said that my notes seemed to much culculated. And by the way, there is no loop, just straight foward recording. As far as the composition goes, well I really composed the track! For me, if it's not a cover, it's a composition, not matter if it's improvisation, as long as it comes from you. And I admit that I improvise the solo, but since I've recorded the melody many times, in the end I knew what I was doing. So I can say that I was composing while recording.

I agree that it's not always very tight and it's someting that I'm really working on these days.

11. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden

Wow, that's exactly what i feel about solo bass..

12. fallon

fallon

Jul 6, 2003
    Scotland
    Each to their own but I hope that bassists never have to return to the days of ham-fistedness Paul Mcartney stle of bass playing,so bring on the soloists,the showmen and the talented and lets be old when we get old!

13. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I would contend that there are many different types of playing between McCartney and Manring.

It's all opinion as to which you prefer.

14. fallon

fallon

Jul 6, 2003
    Scotland
    I agree,but I recall the days when electric bass playing was restricted to a few notes per bar and it took more than a few bold pioneers to change the way the bass was perceived.Simple root- fifth notes playing has its place now but has its grounding in the sixties/ seventies and now we're in the 21 century so I prefer to believe that someone somewhere will do something special with bass taking it a step further into new realms when maybe we thought it could go no further.I loved it when Mark King appeared on the scene.I loved it when Jaco appeared on the scene...I almost died when I first heard Billy Sheehan but Paul McCartney was a functional bassist(but a great songwriter) and there are thousands upon thousands of functional bassist globally,but the list of pioneering bassists is somewhat shorter,so I tip my hat to these guys and to many on this forum who have chosen to take the path of soloing as did the greats of the past.Just my thoughts.

15. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Great first effort. I didn't really dig your choices of tone. They didn't sound very refined.: Lead tone wasn't as clear and defined as it could've been; The backing bass was a little raw.

But I do agree that there are few times when solo bass gets people pumped. I enjoy pumping everybody up by playing low and thumpy. I leave the high end intact for fills. It leaves that realm more interesting.

I do love Victor Wooten and he's an incredible talent, but I think he can do more for a <i>song</i> by playing great bass than he can by soloing. His solos are awesome, but it has to be a solo song, then.

-Eric.