1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My First Musical Experience

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by stephanie, Apr 11, 2006.

1. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    ...playing in a musical that is. And it was also my first paying gig (I actually got paid more for a 7 show run then I do in a month at my mindless crap day job). Finally after 6 years of playing bass something like this comes along.

My bass teacher actually had to turn down the gig so he handed the job to me: playing bass in the local university's production of "Urinetown". Our band was full of professionals (the musical director was from out of state even and she gets hired for these things) so I felt a little out of place, but the 5 of us soon became like family. Our last show was this past Sunday and I actually cried when it was all over with. It was the best musical experience I've had thus far. I loved the energy and the atmosphere. It further enforces my hope to do this for a living (somehow). Now is the quest to find more gigs like this.

I encourage anyone interested in this sort of musical endeavor to go for it. For one thing it helps you hone your sight-reading skills. You have to know how to read music or you will be lost. My hardest part was picking up on the cues, but you get used to it. :)

2. Hi,
    That's very cool news! Hopefully that gig will lead to many
    more. Thumbs up & best of luck to you.

Cheers,
    Douglas
    :bassist: