My first new bass since 82 -SR5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sleestak, Feb 29, 2004.

1. It’s been a while since I bought a new bass, well, 1982 to be exact.

I’ve been playing any bass I could get my hands on since last summer and really fell in love with the Stingray 5.

My old guitarist moved back into town recently so that got me more motivated to find a new bass. I wanted to order one from MM, but didn’t want to wait several months, so I started making phone calls and a local music store had some SR5s in stock so I went over to check them out.

Well, after a few short minutes of trying out the bass I am now the proud owner of my first Stingray and my first 5 string bass. The bass came stock with a rosewood neck and black pick guard, but they switched out the neck with another SR5 on the wall, and I ordered a white replacement for the pick guard which they put in for me this past Friday along with chrome knobs, chrome screws and a white selector switch.

I know it doesn’t appeal to everyone, but I love the gold sparkle. I’ve always dug the Surf era colors, IE the Dick Dale gold Strat, and when I saw this bass I fell in love with it (with those modifications above of course!)

I’ve been playing it every night, and staying up way too late in the process! The bass has a great tonal range and feels great, I dig it!

Now I have to dig out my 6-foot Acoustic bass amp in my garage and see if that old beast will turn over. I might have to start looking for something a little more compact!

Thanks to all the kind folks on this board for all the great info, stories and stirring up the old bass playing passion again.

I’m certain my next bass purchase will come much sooner than this last time!

Here are some pictures:

2. Wow, long time before buying a new bass, but a great choice! Gotta love the versatility of the SR5. Awesome finsh too. Good buy!
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Great choice! Love the finish too!
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The finish doesn't rock. The bass does. SR5s are killer basses.