My first official NBD thread - Taming The Bull - G&L El Toro

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RobTheRiot, Sep 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. RobTheRiot

RobTheRiot

Aug 31, 2016
    las Vegas, nv
    Thought I'd share the newest addition to my family!! 1988 G&L El Toro!!
    I'm thrilled!
    Saw this hanging in local GC about a month ago. Played it and was blown away - it fit like a glove right away, I could get a wide array of sounds, and set it right and it shakes the walls!
    Loved it, but wasn't sure I wanted to spend the $, so I put it back.... and was back the next day. Played it again, left again... but the thought of this beautiful instrument getting used and abused on the GC floor was too much to take. On the third day I went back, and put a deposit. Finally picked it up yesterday.
    A few minor adjustments and wow, IMG_4968.JPG IMG_4971.JPG IMG_4972.JPG IMG_4974.JPG IMG_4975.JPG IMG_4977.JPG IMG_4979.JPG Feels & sounds even better!!
    What an incredible piece of craftsmanship, crazy there were only 1200 made from what I read.. can't wait to put her to work (just need to install strap locks...)
    It's got a bit of weight, but the sound is worth it, and the grain in the wood I find beautiful!!
    I need to give her a good clean up, which I'm doing today, and I can't wait to see her all polished up!

*I am curious; my tech said it's a Nitro finish. Anyone know if that's possible or correct? The others I've found online all say poly, but this is not like any poly finish I've seen. There are a few minor nicks in the finish I'm considering "patching". Any advice?
    Might leave as is, they're minor, just considering options.

Anyway, enough rambling. I'll shut up and get to the pics!
    Thanks for looking!

2. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    Nice rare bass. Enjoy!

RobTheRiot likes this.
  3. RobTheRiot

RobTheRiot

Aug 31, 2016
    las Vegas, nv
  4. RobTheRiot

RobTheRiot

Aug 31, 2016
    las Vegas, nv
    I don't know why pics split text in half, but if I rambled too long and anyone missed the bottom half:

Tl;dr:
    *Has anyone heard of G&L using nitro finishes? Everything I've found refers to poly on El Toros... just curious.
    Also, if it is Nitro, any tips for fixing small chips, or think it's best just to leave it?
    Thanks!!

5. tat2clod

tat2clod

Nov 19, 2011
    Bloomington IN
    Easy to see why you couldn't leave that to all the GC slap experts enjoy.

RobTheRiot and two fingers like this.
  6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Very cool bass. Enjoy!

(If G&L ever made a 5 string they wouldn't be able to keep them in stock in my view.)

Dr. Cheese and RobTheRiot like this.
  7. Congrats on grabbing a fairly-unusual-looking Bull. May it serve you well.

My main "recording" bass for a decade was an El Toro - all black so nowhere near as interesting-looking as yours - and I'll go on the record stating that I was never able to get a bad sound out of it, no matter how hard I tried. These basses are incredibly versatile IME.

I've had yours bookmarked while it was on GC site - more for curiosity purposes than out of a *real* purchase interest - and it has shown me once again how woefully underrated these instruments are, which is a fact that has been boggling my mind for quite some time now. They were not exactly a "bargain basement" offering 30 years ago - take it from someone who bought his brand new - albeit on a different continent altogether.

As for the finish...I'm 99% certain that mine was poly. But with G&L...there were always quite a few variables in woods and finishes on certain models from what I can tell, although I'm by no means an expert on the brand in question.

RobTheRiot and TinIndian like this.
  8. TinIndian

TinIndian Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    I think it was on a G&L forum I was on awhile back, there was a guy that posted there that used to do the finishes on G&L's back in the 80's. He said that the first few years they used lacquer and in the mid 80's they switched to Poly.
    I cant remember the year though. I'll see if I can find that again, maybe that will help.

On a side note, I think I'd resist the temptation to try to touch up the finish on it. Leave it as is. I agree, it has a beautiful grain pattern to it!

Congrats!

twinjet and RobTheRiot like this.
  9. Gorgeous!!!
    drool

RobTheRiot likes this.
  10. It lokks like it would pick a fight with a T-40, sober.

twinjet, RobTheRiot and ajkula66 like this.
  11. And win.

twinjet and RobTheRiot like this.
  12. RobTheRiot

RobTheRiot

Aug 31, 2016
    las Vegas, nv
    Haha!
    Maybe someday I'll put them up against each other... I've wanted a T-40 for a while now!
    Not sure about the Peavey, but the El Toro does have a hell of a punch...
    I've used it live a couple times now, and it really cuts thru mix nicely, but still sounds big & round.

BlueAliceOasis likes this.
  13. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    Beautiful! There is currently one on the Richmond VA Craigslist if anyone is interested. Seller also willing to ship. No affiliation, just thought it was rare.

14. Not sure if I'm able to follow you down that road, but I get why you're choosing to travel down said route.

15. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Nice. Welcome to the exclusive El Toro Club.

Check your email for details on the secret hand shake. ;)

RobTheRiot likes this.
  16. twinjet

twinjet Powered by GE90s; fueled with coffee. Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    I tried showing this bass to my wife. I asked, "isn't it beautiful?". She replies, "yeah, especially for it being wood ". She doesn't get it.

I couldn't stop staring. It is a thing of beauty, that bass!

RobTheRiot likes this.
  17. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Noyce!

18. Just stating my personal preference. Every fight must have a victor and my money's on G&L. Nothing against Peavey(except maybe the weight in my older age LOL)

BlueAliceOasis likes this.
  19. floydman

floydman

Sep 27, 2002
    southeast CT
    Very cool bass
    Nice grain

20. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    G&L was using poly in 1988, they switched in either 1985 or 86. So if it's the factory finish and from 1988, you've got poly.

Warhawk likes this.