1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My first P-Bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by loendmaestro, May 10, 2006.

1. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I know, I know. It’s actually kind of pathetic. All you hardcore Fender heads can laugh….I deserve it. I’ve been playing bass for 20 years & this is my first P-Bass. I’ve had a MIJ Jazz since 1989 & it’s a great bass but this is my first Precision.
    I dunno why. Maybe I always wanted to be different, didn’t want to conform? It coulda been the awful Mako P-bass copy that was my first bass. I’m not sure. I’ve always been a Rickenbacker guy (I have 3) & I also have a Gibson T-bird & a G&L ASAT, but the time just seemed right. I’ve been playing with this singer-songwriter chick lately & the Jazz has been getting a workout, so the progression seemed natural. It’s true – every bass player should have a P in his arsenal. This thing sounds great. I got it off of eBay from the String Shoppe in Columbus OH (good guys BTW). It’s NOS (a 2003 or 2004 as best I can tell); it had all of the case candy & even had the plastic still on the pickguard. It’s a very groovy Inca Silver & I got it for a very good price. It has that S1 switching stuff, but in all honestly I’ll probably have my luthier yank that out. So far I’ve only played it at home through the B100R, but I have rehearsal tonight & tomorrow night with 2 very different bands & I can’t wait to put it through the paces through the full rig.

Plus, in this day & age of eq/knob overkill there is certainly something to be said for ONE volume & ONE tone knob!

Thanks for indulging me this sad tale….

2. Better late than never. Congrats

3. Plus, in this day & age of eq/knob overkill there is certainly something to be said for ONE volume & ONE tone knob!

I agree.

I bought a Highway One P last year after using my Musicman Sterling for the last 5 years. I was always fiddling with the Sterlings EQ. Too many choices for me I guess.

Now with my passive P, I'm satisfied with the tone most of the time. Some might say vanilla, but I kind of like vanilla.

4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    No pic, no bass;)

5. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
  6. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    You need to become a supporting member, or go back thru your old attachments and delete some. Pretty bass...

7. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Congrats on the new bass, that's a great price for a new Fender.

Great choice to go for the Inca Silver. One of my favorite finishes. Of course, I'm a bit biased....:D

8. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Sweet. IMO one can never go wrong with a P-Bass.

Congrats!!!

9. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    +1

10. Congrats on the P-Bass. You can never go wrong with one of those things. I miss mine.....sometimes ;)

11. could agree with you more, thats why i miss my MIA p soooo much:crying:

but anyway, congrads on the new bass, LOVE the silver on p basses.

12. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    looking good my man. i can't wait to get one myself.

have fun with that thing.

13. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to the machine. :cool: Silver with a black pickguard is a cool combo!