My First P-Bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by poppinsmac, Jan 30, 2009.

1. poppinsmac

poppinsmac

Aug 10, 2007
    I just got my first P-Bass and I am in heaven.
    It was custom built for me by a local guy in town.

Maple/rosewood neck - 1.75" nut width, 7.25 radius, alder body, fralin 5% overwound p pickup.
    Deeper cuts on the back of the body so its pretty thin on the top.
    Not sure the weight, but it isn't too heavy and it hangs perfect.
    Right now I have some super heavy gauge tape wounds, but in a while flats will be going on instead, unless the tapes really grow on me.

This thing is absolute killer.
    I have never owned a P-Bass before, but I got the bug and decided I needed one custom built for me and I am very happy I did.
    This thing is pure classic P-bass tone, or at least what I consider that to be.

The neck feels great, but it will take some getting used to. My other two basses are really small jazz style necks, so this thing is a monster in my hand but I *love* the string spacing on it.

Two pics - one of the bass and the amp I was rocking it on all night, and the other up close so you can see the beautiful fretboard.
    Hopefully a short sound clip tomorrow.

Attached Files:

2. YCBass

YCBass

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    Beautiful bass Bro, congrats!

I also got my first P bass 2 weeks ago - a Lull PJ5 - and I am also in heaven!

3. shamus63

shamus63

Dec 17, 2005
    San Mateo, CA
    As it's been said a multitude of times, every bass player should have at least one P-Bass in their arsenal.

Nice rig, too!

4. Looks really nice.

I love those wide 1.75" fingerboards.

Much good luck with it, micahbell.

Mike ;)

5. poppinsmac

poppinsmac

Aug 10, 2007
    Thanks!

Sadly, not my rig - it's my neighbors.
    I play a MarkBass LMII into 4x10s. Great for cleans, but I cant get a good dirty sound I like.
    The bassman is just the opposite - to die for overdrive, but doesn't really do clean that well.
    And after getting this, I totally agree. Everyone should have at least one...maybe more

6. Nice! Good luck and enjoy!

7. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    sound clips?

8. Padams4

Padams4 Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2006
    Looks great - love a white P with a tort guard.

So was it a Fender neck or aftermarket. I looks nice.

9. Hey Micha,

I think your custom P is very nice. I noticed that you said you love the clean tone of your LM, but can't get a dirty tone to save your life. And that you have tried (and own) a lot of pedals. My advice to you my friend is to go down to a GC plug a Tech 21 Sansamp character series VT bass pedal into a MarkBass Standard 152 cab, if you can find one (or a classic 152) and see how that does it. The pedal has speaker emulation (to sound like an 8x10) and does the over driven tube tone to a tea. Sure it is more like the Ampeg B-15 and/or SVT than a Fender Bassman, but a lot of people would also argue that the LM through a 15" sounds a lot like a clean B-15 anyway, if you like that tone this may be a solution for you. Cheers.

10. poppinsmac

poppinsmac

Aug 10, 2007
    I have one sound clip - I spent all night trying to get a faithful recording of how it sounds through my rig but couldn't. Eventually I just went from the DI of the LMII into the board and this is what it came out with. Forgive crappy playing.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=956f7e8f6153d0add2db6fb9a8902bda
    Amp set totally flat, board set flat, no EQing at all.

Padams - Thanks! And no fender here - the neck was also made by the builder.

kosmicwizard - thanks for the advice, I will for sure be checking that out. I have always thought that a LMII flat into a board was very B-15ish, and I imagine it would be the same with 2x15s. Thanks for the advice. I have heard lost about that pedal and have been wanting to try it out - nobody in my city has one tho. *sigh* I will keep looking around for sure.

11. This is your first p-bass,and chances are it won't be your last...I built my first one over the past summer,now I'm contemplating buying a new one:smug:

12. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    If the situation arose that I had to sell all but one bass, I'd keep my P-Bass. It gives me the sound I want to hear, with no tweaking, every time. I hope your bass suits you as well as mine does me.

KO

13. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    Congrats man, enjoy it.

14. Space-Man

Space-Man

Jan 27, 2009
    Congrats,thats a fine bass.

15. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    The bass horn looks a little off to me, but overall it looks like a killer P-Bass.

Whats the decal on the head stock?

16. poppinsmac

poppinsmac

Aug 10, 2007
    GE - it just says "ratical jones" - it's the guys company name.

17. I hate mediafire ... I always get an amature watch pop up ... BOO!!!!!!!!! Cheers.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021