My First parts bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by backtobass, Jul 17, 2013.

1. backtobass

backtobass

Jul 20, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    This is a quick note that I think is supposed to be in this section. Let me start out by saying I found an amazing bass that I love, a 1985 G&L SB1. Once I found it I realized that all my other basses weren't going to be touched on a regular basis so I may as well take this opportunity to sell them all off and build something. Then my local music store had a blow out sale and there was an Ash Mighty Mite p bass body and a Mighty mite Jazz neck for $75 a piece. They called my name.

I had the idea that I was going to recreate G&L Trans Green and did a number of test pieces using transtint and truoil. Things were looking good, right up until I had to drill the ground hole. I somehow got the angle wrong. Yep, drilled right through the back and now I had to choose a solid color bass. I went with an almost surf green. I found a cool stencil and worked up a decal using Inkscape and inkjet waterslide paper.

It ended up looking great, though there are a number of "defects" that aren't noticeable. An example are some bonus holes under the tuners, but it plays great and I'm pretty happy with it as a first attempt.

Take a look.

http://photobucket.com/albums/r741/Davedo2b/Voodoo Bass

And yes I'm already working on another parts bass and planning for another after that. I do have some parts I didn't use that I have in the classifieds so if anyone is looking for tuners, a p bass neck, or a Warmoth jazz neck PM me.

2. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    EHHHHH! Link doesn't work

3. backtobass

backtobass

Jul 20, 2010
    Rockville, MD

Attached Files:

4. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Very nice

5. backtobass

backtobass

Jul 20, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    I'm not sure how to move this, but I probably should have posted this in the Luthier Section, even though I'm WAAAAAAAAAY far away from being a Luthier. If any of the monitors sees this and wants to move I'd appreciate it.

6. backtobass

backtobass

Jul 20, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

7. backtobass

backtobass

Jul 20, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

8. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I love it! NIce job.

9. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Good job. I really dig the graphics and the body colour is killer!

10. backtobass

backtobass

Jul 20, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    thanks. Not my first choice but a fun bass to bang around on for sure