Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My first pay gig..

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by The_Ryst, May 1, 2005.

1. Preface: I'm 14 and I've been playing bass for 3 years.

Yesterday I had my first "pay gig." Basically I played a bunch of 50's music for a 50th high school reunion. I screwed up somewhat, but I was solid. Hey, I got 25 bucks, which to some of you is chump change, but it's a start.

Well, my first "pay gig" was this past tuesday actually, 17.50 for backing up my mom's violin students (but yesterday was diff.)

I was solid, although I screwed up here or there since I'm not used to that brand of music.

2. Welcome to the wonderful world of musical prostitution. :D :D

It sure beats the alternative though, IMHO. ;)

3. Tis true. Play to get paid, then you can do what you enjoy.

4. I got $10 to have my band play at a Howard Johnson for some elderley group.

5. hey $25 is nothin to scoff at, I've done stuff where the band has gotten $50 for playing a 3-4 hour gig.

6. My first paid gig I made enough for a 6-pack and a pack of smokes.($15) I swore the next gig I did I would make enough for a 12'er. ;) Gotta start somewhere I s'pose.

7. INTP

INTP

Nov 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    My first paid gig was at an Elk's Lodge. We were a 6 piece and did covers of just about every style you can imagine there. The money was not bad, actually, about $100 apiece, but we did have to travel a couple hours for it.

The best part was late in our show when the sax player decided to tell a joke ("what do you call a lesbian dinasoar? a LickaLotapus"). The room went dead silent. Good times...