My first pay gig..

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by The_Ryst, May 1, 2005.

1. Preface: I'm 14 and I've been playing bass for 3 years.

Yesterday I had my first "pay gig." Basically I played a bunch of 50's music for a 50th high school reunion. I screwed up somewhat, but I was solid. Hey, I got 25 bucks, which to some of you is chump change, but it's a start.

Well, my first "pay gig" was this past tuesday actually, 17.50 for backing up my mom's violin students (but yesterday was diff.)

I was solid, although I screwed up here or there since I'm not used to that brand of music.
  2. Welcome to the wonderful world of musical prostitution. :D :D

It sure beats the alternative though, IMHO. ;)
  3. Tis true. Play to get paid, then you can do what you enjoy.
  4. I got $10 to have my band play at a Howard Johnson for some elderley group.
  5. hey $25 is nothin to scoff at, I've done stuff where the band has gotten $50 for playing a 3-4 hour gig.
  6. My first paid gig I made enough for a 6-pack and a pack of smokes.($15) I swore the next gig I did I would make enough for a 12'er. ;) Gotta start somewhere I s'pose.
  7. INTP

Nov 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    My first paid gig was at an Elk's Lodge. We were a 6 piece and did covers of just about every style you can imagine there. The money was not bad, actually, about $100 apiece, but we did have to travel a couple hours for it.

The best part was late in our show when the sax player decided to tell a joke ("what do you call a lesbian dinasoar? a LickaLotapus"). The room went dead silent. Good times...