My first paying gig!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Cornbread, May 5, 2001.

1. Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    I just got back from my first paying gig at a graduation party. It was a terrible show. We had practiced only twice for this show, which consisted of about 15 songs, most of which I didn't know. I had trouble remembering all the different changes, and we as a band just weren't playing as well as we had practiced the songs. I almost feel guilty about getting paid $50 (which I haven't received yet). I don't know if anyone liked us at all. The lesson I learned is to spend more time practicing all the songs before doing a show. Either that, or screw the rock gigs and start playing jazz gigs where I don't have to remember all the riffs and such. What bothers me the most is that all the songs are easy, but I just forget them. Also, I had to transcribe everything down a half step because the guitars were tuned lower while I remained at standard tuning.
    Here's the setlist, for the record:
    3A.M. - Matchbox 20
    Only The Good Die Young - Billy Joel
    Angel/Joker - Shaggy/Steve Miller Band variation
    La Bamba - Los Lobos
    I'll Be There for You - The Rembrants
    Respect - guitarist's solo thing which he ended up not playing
    Drive - Incubus
    Hemorrage - Fuel (although I was so frustrated I didn't even play it)
    Flashlight - Parliament
    Two Princes - Spin Doctors
    Tonight - original tune
    Time of My Life - you know, the Dirty Dancing theme...
    Twist n' Shout - whoever
    Beautiful Day - U2
    Sweet Home Alabama - Lynard Skynard

We ended up playing the songs out of that order, and also played a few more things when we realized we had a ton of time left. We even played an acoustic version of "Hit My Baby One More Time" (after one guitarist/singer had 3 free beers).
  2. Bassr64

Feb 9, 2001
    I hear ya ,Just part of payin the dues. Practice, practice and try again. It's hit or miss playing live.
    Preparation is the key.
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    At least you have taste.:)
  4. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    mmm...flashlight. one of my favorite grooves.

in phat phunktion we do this jam where we do the flashlight groove for 8 measures or so...and the first time i played with them live i did that little bootsy slide high up on the neck like the recording, and i guess their old bassist didn't do that cos half the band turned around just beaming at me.

<sigh> pays to listen to the recordings if you're playin covers!

5. thats not a bad set list CB. one tip I can give you, if the bass player knows the songs they will come off a lot better than if he doesn't.

I have played way to many parties with way to many guitar players and as long as I know the changes things usually sound pretty good.

50 bucks isn't bad, on my first gig after expenses and all we each made about 75 cents.
  6. Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    I think the only reason we got paid as much as we did was that it was the guitarist's cousin's party. And you're probably right about knowing the songs. Unfortunately I seemed to be the only band member who didn't already know the songs we were going to play until about a week before.
  7. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Welp, ya got up there and did your thing... You lived to tell the tale. The most important thing is to learn the lessons from this show and make yourself better.

After the concert I went to last night I got up on the stage and looked out at all the seats. It was actually pretty scary. I know I will have stage fright when I get up there. But I am going to keep pushing to get there. Boy, it gives me the willies just talking about it... brrrrr!!!
  8. cschenk78

Mar 12, 2000
    Watertown, NY
    Welcome to the club kid!
  9. Bass-A-Nova

Bass-A-Nova Guest

Nov 2, 2000
    That sucks, Corn - but at least you made money. My question is: do ya REALLY want to know the bassline to "I'll Be There For You"?
  10. Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    :D That's a great question! And no, I don't WANT to have any part in that song, but I think that was a case of trying to please the college crowd. :rolleyes:
  11. Bass-A-Nova

Bass-A-Nova Guest

Nov 2, 2000
    The things we do for our audiences......*sigh*.....