1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My first pedal - a poll:

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by catcauphonic, Aug 9, 2012.

1. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    I haven't been playing bass for that long, & I've got a low end Yamaha coming through an Acoustic B200 amp which I'm pretty satisfied with as I nail the basics. However, after playing a Spector thru an Aguilar preamp down at Bass Northwest (http://www.bassnw.com/) the other day, I'm thinking I might like a pedal of some sort that can get me closer to that tubey growl that sounded so delicious coming out of that cab. Not sure if I'm looking for OD, distortion, some fuzz, or preferably a combination of all of them. From the limited research I've done, I've come up with 4 names that I keep seeing come up with great reviews. I am also open to suggestion if your recommendation is not listed as one of the four. I'm looking to keep it under $300 max, preferably around $200 if new, & since I'm in no big hurry I can keep my eyes open for something used as well ... that's more scratch to put towards a new bass in the future :D THANKS in advance for your input

1) EBS ValveDrive Pro Dual Mode Tube Overdrive
    2) Tech 21 Red Ripper Distortion Bass Effects
    3) SansAmp BDDI
    4) Aguilar Agro Overdrive

I couldn't figure out how to work the poll thingy, so just shout 'em out!

2. falconspatriots

falconspatriots Oh Word

May 3, 2011
    connecticut
    Out of those I'd say the agro. In the $300 range, the empress multidrive is a all-in-one box of awesome :bassist:

3. monti2889

monti2889

Jul 19, 2012
    I use the digitech X series bass driver, it can get that subtle grind of an svt all the way up to insane pro co rat distortion sounds. to get one used around my area, you're looking at maybe 30.00.

But if you're starting out, it's a pro quality pedal, that will last you a long time. It also has versatility so that you can dial in different sounds as you progress musically and start to develop your own style.
    I believe that digitech still has a few soundbites on their website for the x series pedals if you wanna take a listen.

4. ilovenofrets

ilovenofrets

Dec 25, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    If it's more of a growl you need, but would like the option for some dirt, consider the Boss Blues Driver. Not too common for bass use, but I like it. Gives a nice dirty underlying sound and depending on how you EQ, you can get a nice blues thump ala Tommy Shannon, and you can also get real dirty and gritty.

5. I would go with the Valvedrive from what you listed. I also would suggest that you take.the time to learn the difference between OD, distortion and Fuzz.
    Awesome Fuzz: smallsound/big sound Team Awesome Fuzz Machine, Iron Ether Oxide, Moutainking Electronics Megalith
    Awesome OD: Darkglass Electronics B3K
    Awesome Distortion: Iron Ether QF2, FEA Labs Dual Band Distortion

Plus there are a ton more.

6. ghunter

ghunter

May 16, 2006
    Bellevue, WA
    I'll second the Valve Drive, it's been a staple of my rig for nearly ten years now. It can do anything from a mild warming all the way to massive distortion, and there's a lot of usable sounds in between too.

7. Road Bull

Road Bull

Jul 24, 2011
    Seattle, WA.
    Awww man... That FEA Labs Dual Band Distortion sounded pretty sweet. I saw some youtube clips that reminded me a little of the type of awesomeness that the Darkglass B3K has, but with a distortion vibe. It doesn't look as if they are still in production though. Their webpage says that this product has been discontinued. :crying:

I will have to keep an eye open for a used one to pop up.

8. FANTASTIC choices, but I feel as if I have to add Dr. Scientist The Elements. :D

9. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    If you want a decent bass effects pedal at a more affordable price, the mxr bass d.i+ would be a good choice. this preamp pedal has an awesome clean channel and a pretty cool distortion channel. if you also happen to be interested in buying a chorus pedal, I would recommend the danelectro cool cat cc-1 chorus pedal. this pedal cost $50 and it sounds phenomenal on bass.

10. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    Red ripper is more of a thick synthy fuzz, not the thin sounding type, bought it, hate it, i got the agro, which i found it to be better sounding in low gain overdrive, you can check out my demo at for agro, at a side note, the presence control is +6db and -20db, i wrote it wrongly there. i do need to justify the darkglass unit though,

11. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 GAS resistance is utterly futile... Supporting Member

Not straying too far from your list: SansAmp PBDDI. 3 presets so you get clean, OD and whatever other tone you choose to get out of that box. It also works as a DI. Had mine for 4 years and still wouldn't play without it.

12. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Source Audio Bass Multiwave Distortion Pro. With that, you get EQ control over a myriad of distortion settings, including a clean setting when you don't want dirt, and 6 presets.

13. Dang how did I forget one of the most versatile units ot there? Yeah the Elements is great. It goes from OD to Distortion to the edge of Fuzz. Plus it just sounds good.

14. Oh and just playing NO! -10000 to that.
    I am down with digital pedals, I like other stuff Source Audio makes but I HATE that pedal. IMO, IME and all that.

15. catcauphonic

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Whoa- lots to choose from! What i dig about the Empress Multidrive is that it has all 3 tones I'm one - which leads me to ask how it handles them individually. I don't know much about pedals, but I was warned that the more things one unit does, the worse it does them all. Or does that just apply to boxes with like 20 or more settings?? Also I notice some don't seem to be bass specific - Does that matter? I don't want to sacrifice any bottom end :eyebrow:

16. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    +1000 that thing sounds aweful, imo

17. catcauphonic

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    I watched your demo of Darkglass b3k vs Aguilar Agro. Is it just because it was so new to you, or is the Aggy blowing the doors off of the Dg?

18. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Considering you have a cheap bass and a cheap amp, I'm not sure it's wise to spend $300 on any effects pedal. Right now you have the basics you need to practice and I wouldn't get too obsessive or OCD about tone until you're ready to play out, record, or start songwriting. My 2 cents.

EDIT: If you MUST have distortion you can get a used BOSS pedal for $30 or a used MultiFX pedal for the same.

19. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Pick up a cheap ODB-3 used in the classifieds and move on for now.

20. NOT a traditional distortion pedal. I had heard all the cool synthy stuff it did, but when I tried it in the store I could not find one traditional dirt sound. Which is fine, of course, unless you want a traditional dirt sound.

I won't recommend a single pedal to you. There are too many great dirt pedals and too many specific tastes for me to say 'this is the one for you'. I will caution you that unless your Ibby sounds like the Spector and unless you were playing through a B200 in the store, it's possible that no dirt that sounds great at BassNW will sound great in catcauphonics living room.

I can't tell you how many bad reviews I've read for gear that I really like. Conversely, that Multiwave Pro is just one that I don't like that gets tons of great reviews. Find what works for you.