1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My First Pedal...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Joebone, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Under instruction, the Elves brought me my first pedal ever - an Electro-Harmonix Soul POG.

I've avoided pedals, but in my current band I have some solo space, and have wanted to be able to get a bit more reach - gain, sustain, and some octave-up cover. because this would be used on solos that often draw on jazz-fusion sensibilities, I decided to go with a digital device because tracking seems faster with these.

Did some research, and loved the feature set on the soul pog.

So Xmas evening meant a lot of time with my home-away-from-home rig (MTD Grendel 5-string with DR Flats/Genz Benz Contour 500-115 combo) and the Soul Pog.

And yes, I am very happy. This clearly can provide a wide range of wild sounds, but I was able to find settings that will further my immediate goal. On the Soul side, I've dialed in a wee bit more gain than by-pass, the drive approaching 60% and the treble down from "neutral" to almost nothing. Great solo voice that stays well within the native timbre of my bass. On the POG side, I have the dry up to about 75% so my plucked pitch dominates, sub-octave up to about 20% so it's just kind of there, and the octave-up to about 35% so you can't quite hear the octave as a discrete note, but the sparkle and cut from this upper-range enhancement are totally there.

Each of these settings, by themselves, will be useful. The two, together, is way too much fun. And if I goof with the sequence, or with the "mode" switch I get synthy or organ-like timbres…could probably go a lot further with those if I pushed the octave or drive knobs some more, but as I'm looking to use this pedal for enhancement of solos without parachuting out of my normal, unprocessed timbre, I expect to be quite pleased when I bring it to my next rehearsal with the gang.

And I get a kick out using an EHX pedal - I love the idea of this pedal company that's older than dirt, peddling dirt…and a whole lot more, judging from their catalog...

BadExample and bassbrad like this.
  2. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I had the Bass Soul Food and couldn't get into it. Hope you have the opposite experience with the Soul POG.

Driven Crane likes this.
  3. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I could see the Soul not satisfying folks who want deep fuzz for metal or old-school rock - it's more of a jazz/R&B kind of tone, kind of like a late '70s-early'80s NYC studio guitar tone - but that happens to be where I'm at…

I guess that's why there are thousands of dirt pedals out there!

4. Sounds like a very wise first choice. Find a cool tool and make it your own. EHX certainly deserves more props.

BadExample likes this.
  5. I agree, although it seems like a lot of folk on this forum wouldn't.
    EHX have made some CLASSICS and they still keep on coming up with 'em!
    Rant over ;)

6. Dr Q, BassBalls, BMS, Small Stone, Electric Mistress, Clone Theory, Hot Tubes all classics in my collection.

ukedealer likes this.