Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My first post -- Avatar question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aram, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Hey everyone,

I've been browsing TB for several weeks now, and I have concluded that this is the best site on the Internet. Seriously -- you guys rock! :bassist:

OK, despite the myriad threads on Avatar cabs, I can't find the answer to the one question that's been on my mind: Does the B112/C15 combination handle the low B-string sufficiently?

I apologize if this has already been answered, and I simply can't find the post. If that's the case, can you please forward me the link? Thanks!

Ride on,
    Aram

2. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Funny things happen when you finally get up the nerve to post for the first time; you get nervous when it seems like days and nobody's answered. So, in spite of the fact that I don't have an answer for you, the guy who's coming up from aisle #5 (see him--in the blue shirt?) will have an answer for you shortly. :)

Peace,
    RB

www.richbriere.com

3. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Haha yah I don't know either and I have read up a lot on teh Avatar cabs. Everyone will be very pleased that you took the time to do a search first though- you don't want to hear Pollybass barking "do a search, do a search!!" at you. ;)

4. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Hello and welcome!

When I was researching cabs a while back I ran across a TB'er who had the B112-C15 combination and their profile says that they use 5-strings. The users ID is: BillyB_from_LZ

Sorry BillyB for referencing you without prior permission.

Do a search for them and if all else fails just private message or email them and I am sure they will be willing to help you out.

This thread may help you out:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49158&highlight=avatar+b112+c15

5. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I don't have any experience with either of those cabs (I do have a b410 cab) but I can tell you that the general consensus around here seems to be that anything bigger than a 10 inch speaker ought to handle a low B fairly well (and many folks are satisfied with 10s on a low B, myself included). If these cabs are anything like the b410, they won't have the deepest bottoms you'll find, but they will be an excellent value and give more expensive cabs a run for their money. Maybe BillyB or someone can shed some more light on this for you, but I feel somewhat confident in saying that it would be hard to go wrong with this combo, unless your budget allows you to look at some more expensive options.

I might suggest that you at least consider a b210/c15 combo instead. :)

Welcome to TB, btw!

6. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Man this forum is awesome -- I posted just before I left work, and when I got home there're already 4 replies! Thanks guys for the quick turnaround -- and thanks for the warm welcome!

I will seek out some multi-stringers who are using that config and shoot them a PM. In the meantime, if anyone has any 'yays' or 'nays' on this topic, I'd love to hear it. I'd also be curious as to what's powering them for you, though I can probably piece that together through some more old thread research.

Thanks again for the help so far!

-AC

7. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    gabu has this very same setup... give him a shout too...
    ;)

8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Lovin Bass....no problem

Well, I don't have much to offer...the B112/C15 seems to work well but I've never played a 5 string at a gig to be able to offer any real comments. They're wonderful with a 4 string

I'd say that the B112/C15 keep up with the TL606 1x15 (EVM 15B) and 2x10 (Celestions for Ampeg) that I run on the other channel of my power amp.

I compared the B112/C15 combination against an Eden D210XLT (4 ohm) and liked them better for both 4 and 5 string.

Won't give you the low end of a pair of Acme B2s but they don't require a couple of kilowatts either.

I'm happy with them...

9. Sworn

Sworn

Feb 27, 2003
    So Cal
    Hey BillyB, I love your poster in the picture (as well as your avatar, 5string) of the statue of liberty. where'd you get it?

10. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Thanks BillyB (and everyone else)!

I'm still researching this setup -- I think Dave uses a new driver for his C15 now -- I see that it's still a Kappa, but it's rated at 600w (they used to be 400w I believe). So that might improve the low B response even more...

11. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    For reference, I have the 410 and, at first, I was disappointed in the low end (or lack thereof). However, I have since added a new amp (Trace Elliot) and a Behringer sound processor which allows me to really fine tune my sound and bring up some SERIOUS(!!!!) bottom end, when i played it at a gig last week, the lows made the whole friggin' bar rumble!

That Avatar 410 has now moved ahead of my SWR 8x8 as my preferred cab.

12. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    I am diggin' your avatar (not the cab!)

WE NEED SLACK!

13. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The poster came from www.playthebass.com. Someone sold them pretty cheap through TBL recently.

The current C15 uses a Kappa Pro 15LF which is a cast frame driver specifically designed to be used in a small enclosure. The original C15 (like the one that I have) has a stamped frame Kappa 15.

I was asking Dave about prices on Eminence Kappa Pro 15LFs and he mentioned that he is about a month away from releasing a new front ported, slightly taller, C15.

It's a pretty small cabinet for a 15 but at least the Eminence "LF" are designed to work well in small cabinets. The new C15 03 should be pretty nice.

14. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY

Sweet, I'll hold out for that one if I decide to get it...thanks for the 411 :)

-AC