Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My First Post

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bassesq, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Bassesq

Bassesq

Apr 9, 2004
    Long Island
    Hi to everyone.

I have been lurking for some time and finally was able to get my registration problem straightened out.

I've been playing bass for a little over a year. When I was a kid, I played clarinet and was quite good at it, actually I still am. I took tons of lessons, took a music theory course in college and could play almost any popular song by ear.

I always wanted to play bass and bought the Ibanez SR300 DX in 12/03 and took about 6 months of lessons just to get started properly. I had a tough time finding a decent teacher and stopped the lessons because the teachers were not at the level I would expect. (When I played clarinet I took lessons from a top NYC performer who regularly played in Broadway shows). I found too many guitarists saying they were also bassists and couldn't read a chart to save their lives. They didn't just know the instrument, they had to think about it....I mean comeon, if you're gonna teach bass then be a pro.

So, I have been working on scales, bought a lesson book or two, have some tabs and am playing some vintage Motown and Beatles on my second bass. I picked up a gently used 2001 MIA P Bass, 3 color sunburst. I used some Rotosound strings and now have put on flatwounds which give it that Motown vibe.

I started out with a Fender Bassman 25 and then traded to the GK Backline 115. I've played a little with some friends, but nothing more than that so far.

The next trick is for me to develop my ear so that I can play by ear since I know the theory part. I need to get that feel that when I put my finger somewhere I know what I am going to hear. Of course learning the notes by name above the 7th fret on all four strings would be a big help also...better get that lesson book out.

But anyway, I'm having a blast and when I come home from a hard day, I kick back for half an hour with my P.

2. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i miss those days.

welcome!

f

3. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    Welcome to TB(kick ass community :))!

4. I reckon...

You'd swear I was getting old or something. Stupid uni assignments.

Guess where I'm going after I'm done? Sleep (its been 24 hours awake with 2 of sleep, and its only 10am) or I'm gonna finish learning Fur Elise, just cause I can.

Josh D

5. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Welcome. May you weild the great axe of barse for many years (have fun playing bass).

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Welcome! I'm moving this to Misc, since it's not about Basses...