my first power amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kimstevens, Dec 26, 2002.

1. kimstevens

Nov 12, 2002
    Hi. I recently bought my first preamp (an ADA MB1), and am contemplating buying a power amp to go with it. Here is my situation: 1) I'm upgrading from an SWR Bass 350 because it isn't loud enough (I have an inefficient 4 ohm EA VL210 cab). 2) I would like to be able to rack my new amp in my shallow rack, because I'm on the road a lot and it fits into a nice place in the van; 3) I am considering an amp head: the GK 100rb, and also the Carvin DCM1000. Both should fit into my rack; I don't know of any other shallow (10" or less) power amps. The big question: which would be better? With the GK I would be going from the ADA into the input, thus adding another stage of eq which is unneccesary. My concern with the Carvin is that they have a higher THD spec than most amps, although I don't know if that would be audible; also, I know that the GK fan is nice and quiet, but I don't know about the Carvin. I do quiet gigs as well as loud stuff, and would like to have the best rig for both. One thing about the GK that might be good is that if the ADA bites the dust on the road, I still have the GK preamp. I also have faith in GK wattage; from experience, I know they are loud.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    get a bigger rackl and then go with a bigger power amp where you won't have to upgrade for anything louder... you can find some really heavy duty power amps for pretty cheap these days...
  3. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I also have the EA vl210's I power mine with a PLX 1602. they are both 8 ohm cabs. For smaller gigs I take one. That's a thousand watts into that little sucker. You'll love the EA with more power. Anyway I think I'd get a bigger rack and get a bigger amp
  4. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    I would look at a power amp that has 2 channels so that in the future you could biamp your rig.
    Biamping (with 2 cabs) will allow you to get a cleaner sound out of each cabinet with one running the low frequencies and one running the highs.
    Cabinets with only 2 10" speakers tend to do well for Mid and High frequencies but most do not handle Deep low frequencies at loud volumes.
    If you add a second cabinet for Lows (such as a 1x18", a 1x15" or even a 4x10") you will need a Power amp that has 2 channels so that one channel will go to your existing 210 cab and 1 channel to the other cabinet.
    Another thing to look at in Power amps is the minimum Ohm load. Since your current cabinet is a 4 ohm cabinet, each channel would need to handle a minimum of a 4 ohm load. An amp that handles 2 ohm loads would be even better (meaning each channel could handle 2 4ohm cabs).
    I also use a ADA MB-1 preamp (and have for many years). Once 5 years ago I had the tubes go out during a gig but I could still use the Solid State section of the preamp.
  5. kimstevens

Nov 12, 2002
    Thanks a lot. BTW, I mistyped GK 1001rb.

I had been considering the QSC PLX series, but I heard they are noisy... I know that doesn't matter in a high volume situation, but it does bug me during quiet stuff... I may just have to abandon the idea of my pre/power rig being the best thing for small gigs.

6. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I had heard that they're noisy also but I bought one anyway. I'm glad I did because mine is very quiet. Maybe I got lucky or something.