1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My first Pre/power set up

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by StoutXXX, Apr 21, 2006.

1. I traded my SVT6 behemoth in today for a new PLX 3102 QSC power amp. So far Im saving alot of weight and gaining alot of power so Im digging that. As for my Pre Im using a Sansamp pedal set as a preamp. Running bridged sounds full and bassy and even running one side sounds mighty fine. I do believe the sansamps one trick pony sound may get old soon so what I need is ideas/opinions, and related stories to Volume levels(which I think are ok so far..havent played it in a band), tone, reliability. I use SR5, Pedulla, and Spector basses all super hot as you all know so keep that in consideration. I love to play anything but since I have an SVT-cl I would like a pre that can be more flexible. Most likely you catch me in rock to metal situations as far as volume levels are concerned. Cabs used are 8x10 and 2X12 Bergie. All ideas welcome I love trying new stuff.
    -QSC-good idea? volume/output?
    -Pre amp help/ideas-transparent?
    -should I ditch the bergie for a 2x10 Bagend with the coax?

2. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Wow- good choice on the QSC! I agree, the Sansamp is pretty much a one-trick pony, but you DO play rock/metal, which it's really good at. I have a BBE BMax, which I really dig. Another idea for a pre is the Kern IP-777. Alembic comes to mind as well, I don't know what your budget is...as far as transparent, I hear the Read Purity is pretty transparent.

And you should really dump that Bergie...I'll give you $400, cash, right now for it...;) :D

3. m2o03

m2o03

Feb 27, 2006
    Iowa

My QSC PLX3102 should be here on Monday - what do you think of yours? Mine will be powering my Schro. 310212. My pre is a Yamaha PB-1 which can be had for somewhere around $130 (ebay) I play in a hardcore/progmetal band myself. Have you tried a Schro yet? the 1210 sounds like it's right down your alley from what i've heard about it. Especially if you're looking for a light-weight cab that can punch:bassist:

4. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    You might dig the SansAmp RPM. The distortion/drive on it is a lot warmer than the drive on the RBI IME.

Take it easy.

5. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
  6. +1 to the BMax. Definitely add it to your list of pre's to try out. I was VERY pleased with mine.

7. per/poweramp? I gave tha up years ago. I used to run a pearce P1 or PB1 or whatever. Looks EXACTLY like the old SWR font panel as far as semi parametric. 2 channels. It has TUBE SOUND instead of an enhancer. Tha ran to a 166 and a QSC MSC700 I think? It was 250 watts a side into 4x10s and 2 x15. All I know is that my traynor smoked it thru a single 15 so I dumped all of it. Then I dumped that for a boogie bass 400. Now I am trying to get that Tryanor back!
    Besides the obvious pros of going with a rack setup I always found them more prone to blow speakers, especially in festivals and large venues where you can turn up...forever.
    But thats just me.

8. Just got back from vacation...thanks for the replies. Im am gonna run it hard tommorow at practice so another update soon. I guess what really bothers me is that the Sansamp is hard to smooth out maybe the other version is worth a listen. I liked my old Svt-3 sound...but I have a classic head. Im gonna check out the aguilar outboard pre and the BBE and go fromt here.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Aguilar DB-659 should do the trick, or an Eden Navigator.

-Mike