Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My first project, almost complete too

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by DougP, Apr 28, 2005.


  1. DougP

    DougP

    Sep 4, 2001
    This is my first project. when i get the strings from MF, i will get another pic up. i made a lot of mistakes and learned a lot from this. overall, i would give this a B+. i am not real happy with the grain-filling process. i will practice other methods on some scrap soon.
     
  2. andvari7

    andvari7

    Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    B+ is a bit hard on yourself. I think that's a great first bass, and I wouldn't, unless there are flaws in the construction, go lower than A.
     
  3. DougP

    DougP

    Sep 4, 2001
    it is structurally sound. all of the routing is near flawless. i have Barts in it, and it sounds great. i'm am just not real happy with the finish on it. i am sure it is due more to user error than the products i used though.
     
  4. teacherguy

    teacherguy

    Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    "This is my first project. when i get the strings from MF, i will get another pic up. i made a lot of mistakes and learned a lot from this. overall, i would give this a B+. i am not real happy with the grain-filling process. i will practice other methods on some scrap soon."

    What was your technique for filling the grain? Was it the filler, your method, the type of wood, or what that made you unsatisfied with the results?
    Filling the grain on my first project is my next step so I am curious.
    Looks good in the picture!
    Jon
     
  5. Frank Martin

    Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

    Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    It looks alright to me from the pic, I can't see any flaws.
    If you are that unsatisfied, the next one will be better ;) :smug:
     
  6. DougP

    DougP

    Sep 4, 2001
    i cant really say. i used the clear grain filler from stew mac and the plastic/rubber wiping blade. i followed the instructions to the letter. according to their instructions, the pores should have been filled in two or less coats. the back of this is ash and thats about as porous as you are going to get in wood i think, but this took 4 coats and was still not perfectly flat. the body edges themselves turned out very nice, but there is still same grain that can be felt on the back. i only did one coat on the front as i didnt mind feeling some texture on the zebrawood top.

    i saw some stuff at home depot that looked like a thick glaze that is supposed to be poured onto table tops and then dries very shiney. i forget the name of it, but if anyone has used that i would like to hear about the results.
     
  7. DougP

    DougP

    Sep 4, 2001
    Here is a link to a couple of pictures of my first project.

    http://homepage.mac.com/douglaspettway/PhotoAlbum3.html

    i know its hard to be critical from photos, but let me hear the comments. i'll start: notice where Dougie's router base wasn't wide enough while using the control cavity routing template and he slightly nicked the edge. :crying: