Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my first project! and a question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by benhardisme, Apr 24, 2005.

1. benhardisme

benhardisme

Mar 13, 2003
    US
    well heres my first shot at luthierism... thought id post for some opinions. i apologize for the very poor quality photos... the only digital camera i have is a webcam. and for my question, where's the best place to find pickups for a 7 string bass? with 18mm string spacing it has to be pretty large. i was going to look into bartolini but i guess they arent accepting emails at the moment or something so any help is welcome. many thanks :D
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17331&stc=1
    collage.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    Very nice! That's definately one of the nicest looking ERBs I've seen. I really like the headstock, too.

3. nice!

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Looks very nice so far for a first attempt!

On many 7/7+ instruments I recall seeing Barts, and it looks like they are catering for this side of the market.

The P5 is 127 mm and the X6 is 130 - I think that would fit a 7 with 18 mm spacing.

Good luck!

5. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    SWEET! I like your design!

6. benhardisme

benhardisme

Mar 13, 2003
    US
    haha thanks the headstock actually is supposed to look like an "H"... its for Hardie, my last name... kinda my signature i guess

7. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Looks great! That neck looks *wide* though :p

8. Try getting in touch with Carey Nordstrand (www.nordstrandguitars.com). He's building me a set of 8 string pickups for my bass and they are reasonably priced (compared to every other quote I received) and Carey is quite fast at getting out a custom set.

The bass looks great by the way.

9. i got a crazy idea that just may work. you could get 2 bartolini j pickups (they are dual coil with bar magnets), and make something like a p-pickup out of the 2 j's

10. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

only have 4 fingers so only play 4 strings but I do pay a lot of attention to pickups and Quads seem to come up a lot with these maga string basses. Seems to be focused around string volume variations. A few quads each coil can split, some in pairs, some are hard wired so there's no splitting at all.

11. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I'd suggest you try Jack Read for Bartolinis. http://www.readcustom.com/contact.htm