My first project is finished! (well, almost)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JohnL, Apr 22, 2003.

1. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Swamp ash body (body design is a blend of the Warrior rear end and a rounded Ric-type extended upper horn), Basslines MM pup, Aguilar OBP-1 preamp, "Hambone" customized neck, Schaller roller bridge, and Gotoh tuners. Tung oil finish. Having never attempted anything like this, (it's not only my first bass, but my first woodworking project ever!) I was pleasantly surprised to find that it worked when I plugged it in. :D My workshop consist of a jigsaw, router, and an electric drill, that when clamped to a workbench leg, doubled as a drum sander. It sounds really good through the Alembic F1X preamp (the bass, not the drill), and gives me a different sound from my jazz basses. Sorry, but for some reason the first pic wouldn't attach.
  2. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    ...and the back:
  3. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Very nice!

My first project is a warmoth project. If I can actually screw it together correctly I may consider taking a woodworking class sometime this summer. Congatz on a fine instrument!! What's a hambone neck??
  4. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    It's a neck that our own Hambone had done some work on for a project of his own, then decided to sell it to me instead;) !
  5. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Nice work John...

Congrats man!

6. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    I forgot to mention thanks to the guys at USA Custom Guitars for sending me such a nice slab of swamp ash!
  7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I envy you guys with the talent to create a nice piece like yours, JohnL.

But, I do know enough about wood tos see that you did a wonderful job of using the best aspects of the board(s) on the top. Those concentric rings you preserved on the upper body are very nice.

Plus, you went to to trouble to create a cavity control cover made with the same wood. Even though the grain lines don't match up between the body and the cover, that's nothing, considering this is your first wood working project ever. I admire you so much for not taking the easy way out, (just just slapping a composite/plastic cover in there).

Moreover, you used high quality components.....more power to you! That was really gutsy on a first attempt!

If you don't mind - how did you determine the pickup placement??? (Not that I see anything questionable about it at all. It's just a subject that intrigues me).
  8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  9. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I've always wondered this about any bass. What's the answer?
  10. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    wonderful looking designand great looking wood!!!
  11. if it looks good. every one says there a sweet spot. once u fret a note it doesnt matter were the pickup is.
  12. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Wow, that looks awesome, especially for a first project. I love the body design, its very unique. I would love to start building my own basses, but I don't have the knowledge or money. Good job!
  13. NICE TOP!!

What a classy looking first project - or ANY project. The grain on that swamp ash is as nice as any of the pros produce IMO - congrats!:D

The body style is sort of reminiscent both an FBB and a Ritter - maybe a cross-breed!;)
  14. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002
  15. d_rock211

d_rock211 Guest

Apr 29, 2002
    Kansas City
    Wow. That is really sweet, and I dig the tung oil finish on that particular piece of Swamp ash. Just. Plain. Beautiful.

Good job on the work, now post some sound clups when you get a chance!
  16. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Our own bgavin supplied me with the info at his website here: Ball/Stringray Measurements.jpg

Thanks for the replies, guys! rickbass, Nino, and JP, I've always learned a lot from your posts, and I appreciate your input.

As far as the control cavity, yeah, that was the hardest part. I hand sawed the scrap left over from the upper body cutout to about 1/4" thickness, trimmed it to shape, and used my palm sander to get it down to about 1/8". Lots of sanding!
  17. hey iam making a all purple heart bass. all i need it to plan the finger board befor i put it on. can any one help i dont have a planner.
  18. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    You could probably take your board into a local cabinet shop or carpenter and have them plane it to rough thickness first. Then, unless you want a flat board, you'll need a radiused sanding block (StewMac). I didn't even consider constructing and fretting a neck, with this being my first DIY project! Good luck!
  19. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    great job, JohnL, how does it sound ?
  20. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    If you check out the rest of Bruce's site, you'll find a fantastic spreadsheet that includes pickup measurements for many different basses. Remember, Musicman's favorite "sweet spot" is not necessarily the same as other peoples'. Modulus has their sweet spot, Pedulla Raptures have theirs, etc., which might not be the same as MM. Even on the original P bass, Leo Fender did a test instrument, and ended up putting the pickup at what he considered to be the "sweet spot" at that time (or on that day!).