My first punk bass set-up?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brianpfitz, Dec 22, 2004.

1. brianpfitz

Dec 22, 2004
    Boston, Mass
    Hey! This is my first post, so try to take it easy on me!

I'm currently shopping for my first bass ever (at the old age of 30). My primary musical interests involve punk, hardcore and their various offshoots. As such, which punk bass set-up would you recommend as an introduction? I'm willing to spend up to $600, plus another $600 or so for the amp and cabinet.

Please hook me up with all the details you can as I'm dying to pick something up ASAP. MANY thanks in advance - and great to be onboard!

Fitz in Boston
  2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Personally I think the bass that defines punk is a good old Fender P. Nothing fancy, just passive electronics, a split P pickup and.... well that's it really. Buying a bag of picks helps a lot too (IMO).
  3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I second the P. Get a cheap P and put more money into the amp and cab.
  4. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    um in that range your lookin at a used head and cab, or maybe a new combo amp. If i were you id either get a peavey TKO for a first amp, or if u really want to spend some money get some sort of ampeg amp. As far as basses go id either get a P bass as everyone said or maybe one of the new Ernie Ball SUB basses or a used stingray. Good luck man bass is a great hobby if nothing else.
  5. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    A Japanese P, the new Mike Dirnt P, and the Highway series are all around $600. If you bought a new Japanese P from a place like Ishibashi the shipping would probably put it over $600.
  6. Stay away from the Ray if you want to play old skool punk. About the only old skool punk thing you can do with the Ray is play early chillie peppers and a.p.b.

If you want to play DK, Black Flag, Dickies, Social D, T.S.O.L., D.O.A., S.T.D

or if you want to play bauhaus, smiths, jesus and mary chain or pixies . . . .

You need a P bass.

Check out the mike dirnt from Fender. Very aggro P-bass sound.

Budget basses? Essex P or P Special(the one with both the split pickup and jazz single coil pickup).

Don't think Jazz basses aren't good either. They can sound smooth or aggressive. But to sound aggo, you need a little overdrive.

Honorable mention: Rickenbacker

EDIT and Addendum: Welcome to the Darkside!

Maybe an essex P bass and a nemises 210 combo and an overdirive pedal.
  7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    A Mexican P bass is about $400 these days. Then buy a Gallien Krueger GK400RB amp head and some sort of 4-10" speaker cabinet (peavey is fine) and you'll be all set. If you REALLY want to be punk, buy all of it used ;)

Daddy's Junky Music is a good resource for used gear in the Boston area.

PM me if you want to know more about other good dealers in the Boston area.
  8. Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    P-Bass is the way to go for punk. A lot of good options already listed. I second the suggestion of buying about a $400 bass and putting the moola towards amp & cab(s).

I hear Fender is working on a Frank Bello sig. bass (Anthrax/Helmet)

BTW: welcome to the forum :hyper:
  9. ddayseb

Mar 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Also, if you can find a P bass elite, they might be a little bit more expensive than you're talking about, but those can sound awesome for punk, too. They have two p-style split coils and active electronics, and I've heard them sound amazing through an SVT and a fridge. In terms of amps, I personally would search out used stuff either from Acoustic (mainly a 360), GK (800RB), or even AMP (BH-420) if you can find it, and then a used 4x10. Per the norm, that's just me.
  10. Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    ... or try Avatar cabs. Low cost, great sounding.

This thread is morphing into an amp/cab thread.....

11. Fender J or P

Or a Rickenbacker

On the amp thing. Ampeg head, 8x10 cab.
  12. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    The P-bass is great for punk, but IMO the jazz has that bright punky sound when played with a pick. I know matt freeman uses Jazz basses (from rancid and now social d) so id go for a jazz. plus if your goin go be playin fast (which most punk bands do) the smaller sized neck might be an advantage.
  13. The dude from the punk band, Bunny Band, plays through Avatars.

It is half the sound and he wants punk so we should have some latitude here to mention cabs.
  14. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    One more vote for a Precision. It is the classic old school punk bass, it's what Paul Simonon is smashing on the London Calling cover, and it's what Sid Vicious used to smash pretty much everything else. Seriously though, it's a good one for punk.
  15. Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    Dont forget those stickers!
  16. kearney

Jul 5, 2004
    just a few: mustang bass= richard hell, tina weymouth

black and white p-bass=paul simonon, sid vicious, deedee ramone glen matlock

pbass of different color=glen matlock, bruce thomas (elvis costello) jj burnell (stranglers)

rick=paul simonon, bruce foxton (jam) glen matlock
  17. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY

A Frank Bello sig would be pretty cool. Hes not too well known but he has a pretty cool bass solo in "got the time" from anthrax. I havent heard anything from helmet though
  18. Sigma B

Sigma B

Mar 31, 2004
    Yup, the Pbass is a punk staple to say the least
  19. The P bass is great for pure classic punk tone. That's my suggestion - pure ballsy tone. The Jazz is cool if you like a smaller neck. It also has a little more versatility and might be preferable if you'd like to play more complicated stuff or stray from the traditional sounds. However the P should do it all very well.