1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My first 'Ray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aharon, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Aharon

Aharon

Jan 23, 2008
    picked her up this morning.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

can I join the official MM club now? :hyper:

2. Very nice, love the colour and pickgaurd. Congrats.

3. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    woah, you look quite a bit like Dio. with chin cabbage :p

But yeah, very cool bass. Trans teal is easily my favorite Ray color; I've got an '86 with a clear pickguard. Is yours brand-new?

4. Mark Reccord

Mark Reccord Supporting Member

Gorgeous bass!

5. Very classy color combination! Beautiful!

6. Aharon

Aharon

Jan 23, 2008
    thanks guys, its my first 'proper bass' and i LOVE it.
    incredibly enough i found it 2nd hand at my local shop in Norwich england which isnt a big city at all. I had to get it. I'll be living off beans for months, but boy it'll be worth it!

I'm thinking of removing the pickguard or getting the teal sanded down to a natural finish and sticking black tone knobs on it. I'm only 50% happy with the green / greay pickguard combo.

7. very nice color :)

8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    :eek::eek::eek::crying:

I'd say sell it and get a natural colored one if ya hate the teal that much. I don't generally like the transparent finishes but I think yours looks pretty awesome. I also think the guy who chose that pickguard was slightly colorblind. If you change the pickguard I've a feeling it'll pump new life into the bass for ya. I like the plain black pickguards myself. :)

Congratulations, and good luck with your cosmetic changes.

9. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Before you do something like that, why don't you think about playing it for a while and find out how great a bass it is. I'm guessing you'll soon forget what color it is. Then if you ever find a bass that looks exactly the way you prefer then you can sell this one and get more of your money back to help cover the cost of the new one.

I'm thinking it would be kind of a shame to take a bass that's in such great shape and make it a project bass by stripping it. Leave that for the beaters and let something this nice stay original. Then find a nice natural and grab it (I love naturals and bursts myself, so I know exactly what you mean) :D

But, it's your bass and you have to do whatever makes you happy. Whether you change it or not, you'll love playing it. I'm on my second Stingray and think they're great basses.

10. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    Congrats but please don't sand that color off, it looks great IMO.

The pickguard covers the preamp so you'll have to leave it too. You can exchange it but can't leave your bass without one.

11. Is that some sort of trans-Atlantic spelling of 'grey'?

I'd say that changing the pickguard would be a better bet than sanding down that new axe... And it'll probably turn out cheaper than a re-fin, as well.

And it'd be less of a shame.

And the nice thing about buying second-hand is that you can usually sell it for what you paid for it down the road, so if you come across a natural one later on...

12. Aharon

Aharon

Jan 23, 2008
    haha no, thats just my clumsy typing.
    I must say it looks much better in that picture than in real life. im looking at it now and its a more offensive green colour.

So the Teal will stay :)

But that pickguard has gotta go. Some sort of shiny black would be good.

This thing suits my playstyle beautifully. Heavy-handed, bright clanky young bass player! The strings spacing is perfect too.

13. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    The color rules. Tone it down with a black pg and all is well. Congrats on a fine bass! :)

14. BillisCool

BillisCool

Apr 16, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    +1

It's a good color.

15. thecapm

thecapm

Dec 27, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I love Stingrays, but usually I hate the colors they come in. I really like yours, though.

16. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Congrats!

Fantastic colour!(<-notice my hip english spelling)
    I think she's absolutely beautiful the way she is!

Wear it Proud, Play it Loud!

17. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Nice color/pg combi:bassist:

18. +1 I got a natural/rosewood stingray 4 b/c it was just too good a deal to miss out on at a local shop. i don't mind the color combo, but it's not my favorite. i never think about it when i'm playing, though--when i play it, it's the perfect bass.

congrats

19. Aharon

Aharon

Jan 23, 2008
    I just got her in in from her first band practice. WOW! it transformed my band practice and even the drummer noticed. Put new life into our material and inspired a new song too!

I left the bass and treble in centre and i cranked the mid knob full and set the switch to positon 1 (nearest neck) and i had the most brutal yet tone-filled sound i'd ever heard.

Bass Pod XT Live + Stingray 5 = :bassist: