1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My First Real Bass Solo Live(video)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by canteenboy, Jun 3, 2014.

1. canteenboy

canteenboy

Jan 30, 2007
    https://www.facebook.com/Rafpenabass?ref=bookmarks

I Joined a Salsa band about 8 months ago. I'm new to playing this style of music. I was and am really into learning as much as I can about how to play it.

The band members are used to taking solos a few times a set, so I've been rehearsing with them to prepare the occasional bass solo. I'm new at expressing myself this way, especially in this genre.

What do some of you veteran or novice players have to say advice wise? Any feedback is welcome. Hopefully It will be a learning experience for me.

The vid is the first link on my facebook page.

Thanks for taking the time.

https://www.facebook.com/Rafpenabass?ref=bookmarks

2. dedoonbass

dedoonbass

Nov 17, 2012
    Never played salsa, but I thought that was a sick solo. Good job man

3. canteenboy

canteenboy

Jan 30, 2007
    Thanks for the kind words. The thing I wonder is if I can sound better playing more patiently. I feel a bit frantic while jamming.

4. Classic69

Classic69 Banned

Feb 25, 2014
    Now you know! That's what's cool about "selfie" videos (and recordings) you can listen back and re-construct for the next performance.
    IME playing well is always a process.

Salsa is a great medium for Bass Guitar, it's very difficult to keep a good pocket with Latin, Afro-Cuban etc. rhythms, you cannot leave the groove.
    Cachao "invented" it, check out players like Nicky Orta. They kill it.

You did a good job Rafael, no worries! Pretty sure I heard the crowd getting into it.

canteenboy likes this.
  5. canteenboy

canteenboy

Jan 30, 2007
    Thanks classic. I guess I shouldn't worry too much about how I currently sound or how much more patience I can bring to my current solos. I am thinking about it though. Like you said, it's great to hear yourself back and judge.

I guess it's like getting taller. You probably won't notice while it's happening.

I like your advice about checking out Cachao. I should start studying the solos of the pioneers.

Thanks for the feedback.

6. Classic69

Classic69 Banned

Feb 25, 2014

Not sure if this is Nicky, but wow. (Bass solo at about 5:00; wait for it!!)

hey Rafael, you sounded good man!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
    canteenboy likes this.
  7. canteenboy

canteenboy

Jan 30, 2007
    Thanks for the words of encouragement Classic. I'll check this video out in the morning.