My first "real bass"

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Jay, Dec 20, 2001.

1. Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Well, after much deliberation and checking and finally choosing, I have my first real bass. A two year old Engelhardt EC-1, in near perfect condition. This is one of the happiest days of my life. It's so beautiful in every way. I think I'm in love.

2. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Yessah! New roads leading to personal growth, musical opportunity and fun await!

Don't get too wrapped up in the gear, keep your ears open, and . . . (somebody help me with the magic words here) . . .
  3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
  4. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway

5. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Congrats on your new life! There are a few of us who've started on DB in the past year, so you aren't alone as a newbie. You're in for a lot of fun and a lotta work! I'd advise a couple of things that've helped me:

1. Get a good teacher to start you out right.
    2. Be patient with yourself...this isn't NEARLY as easy as electric bass. Don't feel like a failure when it doesn't happen as quickly.
    3. Approach the thing with respect, especially when asking for help and advice here on TB. There are lots of experienced players who are great about sharing and helping if you bring the right attitude. If not, they'll reduce you to a small spot of smoldering spoo (say THAT 3 times fast!) :D
  6. Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    I shall find a fearless leader, strong in the force, to show me the way of the dark side. The inhabitants of this strange land we call Castle DB will become my council. I will toil as a toybassist no more!

With this contract, I join the dark side.

I, Fetalpig Doghouser, in accordance with my desire to delve deeper into the intricacies of the REALBASS, promise in the future to:

* Practice every day;

* Start reading all available DB literature at odd times, even if I don't really understand it yet;

* Never again post in BG Off Topic;

* Always say "ALL HAIL" before mentioning (All Hail) Bob Gollihur's name;

* Never admit in public that I still play the BG, even though I clearly do;

* Adopt an attitude of sarcastic/ironic condescention toward any and all BG players in my path, not because I really think that I'm any better than them, but because acting like an overboard parody of a stuck up classical musician is so stupid that it's fun if you can pull it off with a straight face;

* Make fun of Fieldy mercilessly every time I hear his name just for the fun of it, even though I don't know squat about his playing;

* Start putting things like "new adjustable-by-clicking endpin" on my Christmas list;

* Start becoming protective of the Rosin forum, even though I find the concept of a whole forum dedicated to Rosin as funny as the next guy;

* And finally, I promise to NEVER AGAIN refer to my left hand as my FRETTING HAND, since
    a) It ain't fretting nothin now, so why call it that; AND
    b) If I do, a whole buncha guys who have already signed this form are gonna rag my sh*t mercilessly.

(sign here)
    Fetalpig Doghouser
  7. ...I told myself I wasent gona cry...;)

If the world didn`t suck we would all fall off