My first real chance..need help

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bassbully43, Aug 27, 2005.

1. bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Hey guys i posted before and got some great ideas on getting my head straight and finding or starting a band. I got a few replies from some guys on flyers i put up in the last week or two. One i should have a try out for next week. They are a gigging blues/rock band older cats like me and have a gig in a month to get ready for. The two guys i talked to said i have the attitude and sound like i am mature and commited to making it in a band. I tend to agree there i am drivin to get in a band or start one soon or sell everything i have and never look back. I have gave myself to about spring to get it going or get out. I have played on and off all my life mostly guitar but found the bass as my love about 3 years ago. I am self taught a decent player but mostly play in the basement alone and write and record songs to a 4 track. People are surprised when they hear them and the responce is good but.... this is my music...the band i will try out for is all covers which i dont do alot of but would do and have no problem doing to get in a band. the guys i talked to said he would rather have a decent player willing to grow with a good atitiude then a great player with a bad one. I am going to give it a go even thou i dont know if i am good enough or can learn all the songs in time. I have 6 to know by this week a couple... Cold Shot SRV..Fool for your
    stockings ZZ top...Mustang Sally Willson picket and a few more. Any tips guys...i downloaded tab to these songs but dont think they are right i just wanted an idea since i know the general songs from radio play. I have not been in a band since high school over 20years ago and only played with a drummer a few weeks ago went good. Sorry this is so long and tips ideas on learning songs trying out for a band and general confidence builders....thanks for any help
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't think you need any help, dude. Sounds like you're right there. Just be cool, play, hang, and have fun.
  3. bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Great reply...thanks it helps alot!
  4. Tingly

Jul 16, 2005
    Yonkers, NY
    Everyone has their own methods. You know what's right for you.

Here's my 2 cents.

You are a musician. Knowing the songs "generally from radio play" may not make it. I would suggest you consider something like iTunes. Download or beg, borrow and steal each and every song you will be expected to play, then make a tape or CD or something, and listen to them and play along to them CONSTANTLY up to the audition, or rehearsal, or whatever.

It will give you tons of confidence and they will be surprised, and glad, that you seem to know the tunes so well. It may put you at ease enough so that you can move to the music and show them some of the energy you might put into a live show (if you sense that's what they want). If they are good enough to cover the songs precisely, you will not be surprised by anything. And even if you make a mistake, because they play the tunes differently (i.e., wrong), at least you will know (and they may, too) where the difference lies, so either they will realize their error and adopt your correct timing, or you can play it their way every time.

I can tell you, from experience, that although you "think" you know the tunes, hitting them even harder like this could pay off big time in terms of actually getting the gig.

Good luck. I hope you knock 'em dead.
  5. bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Tingly ...thanks man i will check out the itunes im not much on where to download songs..thanks. i went out yesterday and picked up SRV and Allman bros.. they cover whipping post. I figured i would get a few good cds i always wanted anyhow...we have a cheap cd store here $5.00 for each. I played to SRV cold shot and lil wing (an all time fav) and even played for my wife . She said i was spot on to her ears.I found the cold shot tab wrong its down a key from the tab and added cool fills for lil wing which i did before when playing Jimis way. I only used the tab to get an idea and use my ear for the real playing. Thanks to you guys i am getting more confidence by the second. I agree bands play songs to suit their style of playing and i will have to adjust to the band.I plan on giving 100% hope its good enough.
  6. Tingly

Jul 16, 2005
    Yonkers, NY
    That's great. Good luck & keep us posted. You got me all excited, too, now...
  7. bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Well....i hope i have not biten more off than i can chew ;) Got another try out this week 2 in one week :hyper: but im getting butterflies. The second band said just show up and we will get ya going....any cures for the buterflies and staying on task so i dont mess up when i play?
  8. SRV tunes down a half step... you should probably expect to just be playing it a half step up from the recording, in A (if I remember correctly - it's been a while) when you do it with the band.
  9. bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Great point...thanks, Yea i see that and wondered this myself. I read the tab and sheet Tommy put in bass player and he said they tuned down 1/2 step. I have been playing it in A-flat and its right. You are also right it is in A...this is the problem i need to forsee what keys do they play the songs in? Up or down a step is no problem as long as i know it. thanks for the tips they help me get ready and know what to ask and look out for when i get there.
  10. Yep, sounds like you're on top of the situation. It seems like everytime I play with new people they do at least a couple of songs in keys I'm not used to playing them in... sounds like you're ready for that situation and on top of things. I think you'll do fine by the sounds of it.
  11. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    When you find out the songs, also try to get the key if possible. I joined a band, learned a few of the songs, found that every song was in a different key, even the ones they gave me the chords for :confused:

Tried out for another band. Did everything though the drummer. Show up for the audition. The first thing the guitar player says is "He told you we tune down 1/2 a step right?" Tuning down is not really a problem but it throws you for a minute.

Sounds like you have your head on straight. And remember you *will* make mistakes. It is how you handle them that matters.
  12. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA

For what it's worth, I've been in three cover bands in my life, and NONE of them played note-for-note with the originals as a tribute band might.

All three groups tried to nail the little things that made a song "special" (e.g., the opening bass riff or harmonica solo in "Long Train Running") but otherwise the feeling was universally "let's make it our own." If the cover band you're trying out for has the same attitude, you'll surely be in great shape. If they do try to play note-for-note you'll have to study harder but I bet you'll still do fine. If you have a chance and you don't think it will send a bad message, consider asking them how they approach it... it may help you feel better about things.

Been there done that on the key signature switcharoo. Learned one song in C, had it down cold, practiced it with the guys and it was all good, first practice the singer shows up at we get a "I can't sing it in C, drop it down to B." And of course the bass line I had worked out for that one had a lot of open-string notes! (I managed surprisingly well, though.) If you can find out what keys they're playing the songs in that'll definitely help you out, but remember not to put too much weight on it, lest their singer pulls a similar stunt. :)

I agree 100% with good attitude being more important than great player, and it sounds like you have that covered. Most likely you're gonna do just fine. Good luck and have fun! :)

P.S. For a totally off-the-wall (but excellent!) rendition of "Whipping Post," check out the version by Big Mike & The Booty Papas. I so want our band to play it their way! :D
  13. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003

Congrats and best of luck, brother. It sounds like you are doing the prep work required. That's so important. If you're sweating the changes of a song it affects your groove. When you've got a song down cold you can truly make it swing!!

Having said that, the only other advice I'd give is enjoy yourself. If you have a good time, everybody else will. There is no feeling in the world like playing for the 1st time with talented players.

Bring it,
  14. bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Thanks guys you all rock..2 days until the first try out and Sat for the second one. Both bands said they take all their covers and spin them their way. I have been doing the songs from Cds and think ive got most of them ...hope they dont change them to much :meh: You guys really make me feel better i'm sure ill mess up and feel a bit out of place but im easy going with a good sence of humor.I figure if i dont get any call backs i will learn and it will make me a better player for the right band when they do come along...but i plan on giving this my best and landing one of these gigs ...i will let ya know how it goes.