1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My First Real Experience with Flats - LaBella

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Baird6869, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I have always avoided playing flats as I have always played metal, punk and more flashy solo type stuff.

I finally gave in and put LaBellas on my 1993 MIM P Bass as my band decided to add a reggae song (Bedouin Soundclash's Walls Fall Down) to our set list.

WOW! These strings sound amazing in the mix. :bassist: :D

I was planning to use this bass for a song or two but I think I will use it on a few Stones songs, Soulman, some SRV..... etc.

I can't see NOT having a bass strung with flats!

2. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Try them with your metal/punk songs as well. It can't hurt, and you may be surprised at how different the music's texture becomes. It may be very much to your liking.

I think there is far too much conservatism in the bass/bass string world.

3. Baird6869

I think I would miss the twang on the high notes on my D and G strings but I am going to try it at my next jam later in the week.

I am playing a Jazz/Blues festival in Oshawa, Ontario on Saturday, so I guess I have a few days to figure out what bass to use for what songs!

4. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Just wait for it man. Once you play them for a month or more they get nicer and nicer.

5. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    I play metal, and a few months back I wanted to go experimental and try some flats. And you should have seen the guy at the counter's face. He's like;

"So what type of music do you play?"

"I play metal."

"..."

He just stared at me for literally about 30 seconds saying nothing... as if I was a complete moron for wanting to use flats for agressive music. Well guess what, I LOVE THEM!!! I whacked them on my Ibanez and man do they sound great. I only got a cheapo set of Fender flats, I can't wait to get a good set!!! :)

6. There's nothing wrong with Fender flats, I use them on my P-Basses but I use D'Addario Chromes on my J-Basses.

7. BellBottomBlues

BellBottomBlues

Feb 21, 2007
    New York
    Endorser:Fender User:Rotosound, LaBella, Ashdown, Lindy Fralin
    I dump a 1954 La Bella set on each of my P-basses for thumpy goodness.

8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Labellas are wonderful flats, and they get better with age. Congratulations on discovering them. (My faves.)

9. hoosierdad

hoosierdad

Sep 1, 2003
    Indiana
    I only use flats - and always get compliments on my tone. I have Fender Flats on my '59 PBass and on my 2001 USA Jazz. I have used Pyramids and Labellas and I like them too. The set on my '59 has been on for at least three years and the set on the Jazz is about 5 months old.

10. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Nothing wrong with them at all. It's just I only payed about $17 bucks for this set. I'd love to have a more expensive set... There was a packet there for $120!!! :eek: Now THAT'S just a little overkill.

11. Baird6869

Question.... how often do most of you replace your flats?

12. hoosierdad

hoosierdad

Sep 1, 2003
    Indiana
    Almost never. Like maybe every 5 or 10 years for me. And I play 'em. I do about 30 gigs a year + practice and studio time.

13. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

I change my La Bella 760FL's after they've had anywhere from 6 months to 2 years of use.

George

14. I replace mine when the instrument can't be intonated correctly...roughly once a century. :D

15. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Well, my 1963 P has the strings on it I put on in 1972 or thereabouts.

Bassically (pun intended), I don't change 'em. If they break, it's time for new ones...otherwise, leave 'em alone. I have only one bass with rounds, and they're 7 years old. I have eight basses in service (plus two in repair status) and all of them have strings that I installed when I got them - however long ago that might have been.

16. I just put some LaBella Jamersons on my cheapo Peavey defret project, they sound AMAZING!!! My poor Jazz is going to be jealous now...

17. AAaaaahhhhhh...
    LaBella Deep Talkin' Bass Flats.
    The mediums or the Jamerson set if your neck can handle them. They really DO age gracefully. I almost hate them when I do change them (bout once a year). But then they settle down to a colorful, musical thump. And they sustain as well as anything else - depends on the bass and your technique.
    Glad to hear you like them. And don't be afraid to stretch your use of them, you might figure out a way to make them work uniquely in whatever style you play.

18. nasaldischarges

nasaldischarges

Jun 11, 2005
    Once i put rotosound rs77le's on my fender deluxe p-bass special, I never wanted to use any other type of string... and I play me some metal, mostly oldschool stuff though