1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My First Rebuild

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ltrain, May 30, 2007.

1. I just completed my first total rebuild of a bass and thought I would share. I think it was an old Yamaha but there wasn't any markings other than the tuners and neck plate. Had a lot of fun doing it and learned a lot along the way. The finish did not come out quite as well as I wanted but it plays great. I love the EMG P Pickups with the Bass Expander. With those and the maple fretboard it has a nice deep "bark" to it. It certainly isn't professional quality but the next one will be better! You can see the before and after. :bassist:

Attached Files:

2. Chandler Bing

Chandler Bing

May 16, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Nice job. You sure it's a Yamaha? Looks like a Fender or Squire Precision to me.

3. It may have been. There were Yamaha tuners on it when I got it but no other markings other than "Made In Japan" on the neck mounting plate, which is smaller than standard neck plates. Maybe this is some kind of clue. The tuners are the Gotoh style. I was going to put Fender type tuners on it but they were too large for the headstock so I stuck with the Gotoh style. While it had a P-Bass pickguard, the cutout for the pickups was actually one large rectangular hole, kind of like a soapbar or Musicman style pickup. I routed out the hole to fit the P style pickups. Who knows what it started life as.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021