1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My first recordings... opinions on genre/song structure?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Misfit Wookiee, May 7, 2015.

1. I've been working on a few songs from before I got involved with my current trio and started revisiting demo recordings I did. Right now, I have an instrumental track (loosely titled "Maybe") and a track currently an instrumental because I haven't had the flash of inspiration for a vocal melody or lyrical content and figured I could leave it for a potential vocalist to fill a la Mike Patton when he joined Faith No More and wrote all the lyrics/vocal melodies for The Real Thing. That is in no way a comparison to my stuff being as good as FNM on that album. Either way, I programmed the drum machine for both tracks, played the bass and all guitars including the tandem lead on Maybe (I designed the solo on there as a placeholder for when a REAL lead guitarist comes in and plays). I know there are mistakes on there that I didn't record over. This was always meant as a musical scratch pad rather than as a "presenting-to-the-labels" demo.

That being said, I had questions about what genre I should call it. I was always thinking of the project as being more free-form in its ability to play across genres, but I am realizing that people like to pigeonhole. I can call this rock, but would these tunes be a specific subgenre of rock?

Also, is what I'm hearing in the song structure catchy? I know what I think, but I'm curious if others share my opinions. I'm biased; I've seen just how biased all y'all are. I think I'm strong enough to take criticism on my music writing. Like I said, I know about the mistakes, the production leaves something to be desired (it was my first real foray into recording anything), and I suck at lead guitar. That being said, what do you think about the song structure and what genre should I tell people this is?

Thank you for your support.

2. sonicnuance

sonicnuance Commercial User

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    Engineer & Owner, Sonic Nuance Electronics
    I like the bass melody on Song 12 on the intro. That song kind of reminded me of REO Speedwagon's earlier experimental days crossed with Y&T. "Maybe" reminds me of Metallica slow songs with a touch of Iron Maiden. I was also thinking of the Black Sabbath albums with DIO (Mob Rules and Heaven and Hell). That was meant as a compliment. Perhaps "experimental hard rock" music would be the genre? Dunno.

I enjoyed listening to them. I think they both have potential especially if you get vocals lyrics in there.

My $0.02

Misfit Wookiee likes this.
  3. I thought along those experimental lines, borderline progressive but not too far gone to potentially capture someone's ear. Thanks for the compliment regarding the influences. I was really trying for an Iron Maiden/COC (Deliverance/Blind era) duality and difference to the solo structure, having two different solos meshing well together. I've heard it in Kyuss, which is just Pink Floyd and Black Sabbath 'shrooming together. A lot of my friends are either non-musically inclined or into a totally different genre (country and/or show tunes), so getting opinions from musicians is appreciated.

Thanks for the two cents. Hopefully I'll be able to keep moving forward with this.