1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My First Render!! Opinions Please

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by sonyz92, Jun 9, 2012.

1. sonyz92

sonyz92

Apr 3, 2012
    Hey there, I just finished my first render for my first bass build. This is the first guitar that I have ever designed.
    So far, its fan fretted with a scale of 34"-37", black transparent finish, ebony fingerboard and blue/green abalone fingerboard inlays.
    Opinions are gladly welcomed. If there is anything that is missing or looks like it needs changed I would be happy to receive criticism.
    Also I may need some advice on where to start in regards to actually building this thing.
    Here's my render, you can click it to see the full size image
    [​IMG]

2. azfryguy

azfryguy

Feb 2, 2010
    Queen Creek AZ
    that's gnarly. My first build well be a simple for string p bass.

3. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars: Ulyate Pickups & StringJoy Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    those inlays look amazing. a bit modern for my taste, but awesome none the less.

4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Nice balanced look. Not my style but quite attractive. Good work!

5. eee

eee Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2009
    I bet you like Dingwalls. Haha. Looks good.

6. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Norway
    Looks very nice. Especially the inlays. Abalone details on black is always nice. :)

My only criticism would be the angle of the tuners. IMO they look a bit odd when they are angled that much towards the bridge-end. Doesn't compliment the arch on the headstock very well.

7. sonyz92

sonyz92

Apr 3, 2012
    I suppose I overlooked that. Think I might make them a little shorter as well.

8. Sonyz, it's striking and beautiful.

It's also an absolute mission as a first bass. Can I encourage you to start with some sort of 4 string fretless using cheap parts to get the hang of things. I've done just that. My 2nd build is a 6 string fretted. I'm happy I didn't start with it. I'd have given up.

Start small, build your skills, then build your dream... ;o)

9. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    2 fewer strings and I'd be drooling :D

10. sharp8874

sharp8874

Jan 10, 2011
    Looks like its gonna be awesome! I love the inlay design it looks so epic!
    My only critisism would be the bottom of body looks just a little to big and the bottom horn needs to be more rounded IMO
    I would start by making the neck first and then build the body around that

11. elshunko

elshunko

Jun 25, 2010
    Looks good! We will need pics when you build it. Good luck.