1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My first rig ....need help with cab selection

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by babythumper, Mar 31, 2006.

1. babythumper

babythumper

Mar 31, 2006
    My first Bass Rig:

1. Fender Geddy Lee J-Bass
    2. Ampeg B2RE
    3. Cab: ?????????

Thinking about two Avatar B212 cabs (600watts each).
    Is this too much speaker for the Ampeg B2RE and it's 450watts at 4ohms.

Any other cab configurations you would suggest?

Would one Avatar B212 be more than enough for the Ampeg head?

Thanks for any help

2. Peg_legs

Peg_legs

Nov 19, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    If 12's are what you want and Avatar is what you want, you can start with one and add another if needed.

If that were my price range, I'd try to get the Aguilar s410 from MF while they are cheap.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bass/Amps?sku=601034

I have nothing against Avatar and no affiliation with MF, but you just can't beat that price

I must add that I have never played through either one, but they both get good reviews around here.

3. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Powering two 600W cabs with a 450W head will most likely lead to you clipping your amp, leading to potential damage to your speakers. One 212 will be a good match for that head.

Another option is the Ampeg 410HLF, which seems to be held in high regard around here, and is a typical match-up to that head. I would recommend checking that cab out, it sounds pretty darn good and has great booty.

The only downside is it's about twice as expensive as the Avatar 212, but can be found for less if you buy used.

What kind of music are you playing, and how much volume do you need?

4. babythumper

babythumper

Mar 31, 2006
    Both are great replies. Thank you both.

About the aguilar s410 ...it is 8ohms ...shouldn't I try to get my load down to 4ohms? Or add on another 8ohm cab?

5. Peg_legs

Peg_legs

Nov 19, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    yes indeedy, it is 8 ohms. That allows you to add a second 8 ohm cab if desired. You could add a 2x10 to the 4x10 for the big shows. Take just the 2x10 to practice. Use the 4x10 for medium size gigs. etc etc. No harm in using an 8 ohm cab by itself, unless you feel compelled to overcrank the amp to compensate for volume. I don't think the volume difference is that much anyway.

If you decide to stick with just one cab, a 4 ohm would be preferred

Once you are going direct into the PA, your amp is basically just a monitor. I keep telling myself that, but keep upgrading to bigger and more expensive amps. I'm currently running an Ashdown Preamp into a Crest PA amp into a Bergantino NV425 (3 10's and a 15). Who needs a PA?:bag:

6. babythumper

babythumper

Mar 31, 2006
    peglegs....i agree that aguilar s410 is a killer price ...my main concern is the s410 is 500watts ...perfect for my ampeg b2re ...but if i add any more speakers won't my amp be underpowered ...resulting in problems?

7. Peg_legs

Peg_legs

Nov 19, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    My opinion on that is, If you don't crank up your amp to where it is clipping, no problems. I never turn any amp up over halfway. When I got my Berg (600 watts), I ran it with a 300 watt amp for a few months. It was plenty loud. I tried it with a 60 watt all tube guitar head. Wasn't loud enough. Now I run a PA amp bridged into it with 1100 watts. No problem. when you run way more watts into a cabinet than it is designed to take, you have to pay attention to funny noises coming from the speakers, and keep the volume down below the level of making funny noises. To make a long story short, If you use less watts and get the volume you need without overdriving the head, all is well. 300 watts was more than enough for me. Years ago I used an Ampeg SVTIII (300 watts) into a Peavey 410, it was plenty loud and had no issues with clipping. I upgraded the Peavey to a Trace Elliot 410 and 15 and 300 watts was fine and plenty loud. I thought I was going to keep this short.......

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Since you have already decided on a bass, this is a cabinet thread. Move to Amps.