My first Roscoe.......Finally!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JRBrown, Mar 21, 2004.

1. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I've had this bass for about 3 weeks now--it's awesome! I never gave Roscoe basses much consideration primarily because its unique body style seemed "backwards". After having bought, sold and traded just about everything else, this preowned one became available ( at just the right time. Seeing as how the bass is only a year old, Roscoe guitars is just three hours away, and having finally somewhat honed in on my taste in a bass, I decided to give it a try.

Preferred features that I expected:

- 3-piece neck
    - Birdseye maple fretboard
    - 2-pups with mid freq control
    - Mahogany body
    - Sunburst flame maple top
    - Light weight
    - Low action

Preferred features that I discoverd after receiving it:

- Comfortable meaty neck
    - Variable mid freq control
    - Very balanced/comfortable seated player
    - Deep tone that brings out the best in steel strings
    - Killer slap tone and feel
    - Perfectly placed contours
    - Deep-set jack
    - A couple of small "play it, don't baby it" scratches :D

Features for consideration:

- Deluxe exoctic top (justification to buy another one?)
    - 4-bolt bolton neck. (Just a paradigm because the 3-bolt system works fine.)

To me, this Roscoe sounds and plays better than many basses that I've owned: Stingray, Modulus, Alembic, Fender

And it sounds and plays equally as good, yet pleasingly different, than several others: F-Bass, Smith, Sadowsky, Eshenbaugh, Lull, Lakland, Benavente
  2. JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    Looks awesome! Welcome to the Roscoe Family!
  3. BassFiddle63

Oct 4, 2002
    Roscoe's are the stuff ;)
  4. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Congrats on the new Roscoe JB! :D
  5. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Thanks, I'm really happy with this purchase (Thanks Brian). I vision myself staying in the Roscoe club for a long time to come. I'm already thinking about a Roscoe to compliment the one above, maybe one with a buckeye or spalted maple top on swamp ash. I wonder if Keith can do one with J-style pups. :meh:
  6. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Just curious how you think Roscoe's stack up with Sadowsky's. I know they're different style basses, but do you prefer one to the other? I'm will be in the Roscoe club for a long time as well. I'm just trying to see if I want to join the Sadowsky club or get another Roscoe.
  7. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    You mean like these? :D :bassist:
  8. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    The Roscoe holds its own but in a different way; the two basses are very different. If it's a J-Bass that you want, get the Sadowsky. If it's another Roscoe that you want... ;)
  9. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Yes, if those are 4-bangers in the making. My Smith BSR5EG is all the five I'll need for a long, long time. But if the right Benny/Fodera SC-5 became availabe for the right price... ;)
  10. Welcome to the Roscoe club. Congrats on your bass!! I'm guessing it has the Bart preamp?

And don't you love the slap tone? It's not like a jazz (well, with your maple board it may be more like it than my purpleheart board) but it's cool!!!
  11. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    They are indeed wonderful basses, and in my top 5 of all time. In fact, the best bass I've ever played (bar none, and I've played a lot) was a Roscoe. SKB3007. Oh, man, I was even figuring out how to put that bad boy on layaway and make payments. It was so nice...

And the color on yours is even choice!
  12. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV

I like your bass JR, but of the two Brian had I think this one looked really, really niche and the price isn't bad either. Swamp ash body and natural flame maple, ahh...probably slaps well.

Keith is a cool guy, you should take the factory tour. He's got some wild exotic-wood guitar bodies that will probably never see the light of day, which is a shame.

The *best* Roscoe I've ever played was one of the early ones with a flat top and EMG soapbars. When I was in college, a guy had it and the only Eden rig I'd ever seen at the time...and his girlfriend was fine!

Curiously enough, though that old Roscoe kind of reminds me of the Smith 4 I have now, which is why I got it!
  13. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Glad to see you like the Roscoe. What I like about them so much is that they have a sound entirely their own. There's a character about them that's very different from everything else out there and I like that. I actually chose my SKB 3006 over an F bass because of the unique characteristics of the sound from the Roscoe. I'd really like to try some other Roscoe's now with different body woods. Mine's a one piece myrtlewood body. I want to try one with a swamp ash body and a mahogany bodied one as well. The cool thing with the myrtlewood is that it has a real fretless quality to it even though it's a fretted bass. That seems to work for everything but slap, which I don't do often anyhow.
  14. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Yes, it's a Bart 3-band preamp. The mid freq-shift is very useful too. Slap tone is very nice. The maple and mahogany are a good combo.

That's a strong "positive" for Roscoe! Mine could use a little more flame, but Thanks.

I looked at that one real hard. I emailed Brian about it and he told me he had yet another Roscoe on the way. I'm glad I waited.

And it's a good sound at that. It can easily compliment many other bass without overlap.
  15. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Sweet! That's a beautiful top. My LG-3005 has a myrtle body, I'm totally in love with it. Deep rich fundamentals, and slap action to die for. After I got it, I sold off seven or eight other basses, 'cause they seemed superfluous.
  16. Yeah, JB!! Another Roscoe convert joins the congregation!!

You're right, they're not Fenders but they sure do sound good in the mix! I still love my Roscoe fretless! JB, would you ever consider a Roscoe fretless?

And Furio, I forgot how beautiful your bass was!! :eek:
  17. thanks john! i remember yours well, it's still a part of my 'roscoe slideshow screensaver'. :cool:

i haven't seen too many roscoes i thought were ugly. if only i could afford a fretless...
  18. GrooveSlave

Mar 20, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Congrats on the new bass.

The only thing better than one Roscoe is.....

2 (or more) Roscoes!!

I'm still loving my LG-3005 with the solid Lacewood body.