1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My first set of D'Addario's

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by PanteraFan, Jul 8, 2001.

1. OK, pretty soon I'm gonna get some new strings. I was toying with the idea of flatwounds, but never having played them I didn't want to risk it to see if I didn't like them, so I think I'm gonna buy some D'Addario Series II Heavy .055-.110's. Apparantly these are somewhere between the tone of flats and rounds, so they'd be good to experiment with.

At the moment I'm using some Rotosound nickels, .45-.105, and they're warm enough but not edgy enough. Hopefully, I'll get a little more brightness with the steel round part, but then the low-end of the flats..?

What do you think? I'm definitely buying some steels, as they have the brightness I want... the D'Addario's will cost me $23 including shipping...is this good value?

Thanks

2. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    If bright you want, flats you do not need. Seriously, try some D'Addario Half-Rounds or GHS Pressurewounds to sample the feel without giving up all the top end. But bassists who want a bright sound won't find much to use in a set of flats, for the most part.

3. Currently i've got
    D'addario EXL170-5 nickel round wound strings ( .045 .065 .080 .100 .130 ) on my bass, and they sound great for metal, but they cost about $ 30

4. As far as I know, I haven't seen any XL's that are heavy enough in guage.

The Series II's are the only D'Addario's that I have seen at this high guage, this cheaply. Sheet Music Plus say they are 'super bright' anyway, so maybe these will be OK?

5. Scratch that, I found some D'Addario XL Heavy/Long .055-.110's. Nickel plated steel, roundwound. $20, including shipping.

Would these suit my cause better?

6. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I like flats, but I'm no slapper. I also like a deep, thumpy sound and have found strings with the characteristics you seem to desire. The first is Rotosound 66's. These have the stainless "snap", but I find them also to have a nice, deep bottom end, and a pretty thumpy attack for rounds.

I also like Ernie Ball Slinkys. I haven't tried their stainless sets, but the nickels are very nice. They have a nice, clean top, and good bass response.

I don't think you're going to like half-rounds if you want top-end bite. I wouldn't call them "edgy".