My first set of D'Addario's

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by PanteraFan, Jul 8, 2001.

1. OK, pretty soon I'm gonna get some new strings. I was toying with the idea of flatwounds, but never having played them I didn't want to risk it to see if I didn't like them, so I think I'm gonna buy some D'Addario Series II Heavy .055-.110's. Apparantly these are somewhere between the tone of flats and rounds, so they'd be good to experiment with.

At the moment I'm using some Rotosound nickels, .45-.105, and they're warm enough but not edgy enough. Hopefully, I'll get a little more brightness with the steel round part, but then the low-end of the flats..?

What do you think? I'm definitely buying some steels, as they have the brightness I want... the D'Addario's will cost me $23 including this good value?

2. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    If bright you want, flats you do not need. Seriously, try some D'Addario Half-Rounds or GHS Pressurewounds to sample the feel without giving up all the top end. But bassists who want a bright sound won't find much to use in a set of flats, for the most part.
  3. Currently i've got
    D'addario EXL170-5 nickel round wound strings ( .045 .065 .080 .100 .130 ) on my bass, and they sound great for metal, but they cost about $ 30
  4. As far as I know, I haven't seen any XL's that are heavy enough in guage.

The Series II's are the only D'Addario's that I have seen at this high guage, this cheaply. Sheet Music Plus say they are 'Super Bright' anyway, so maybe these will be OK?
  5. Scratch that, I found some D'Addario XL Heavy/Long .055-.110's. Nickel plated steel, roundwound. $20, including shipping.

Would these suit my cause better?
  6. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I like flats, but I'm no slapper. I also like a deep, thumpy sound and have found strings with the characteristics you seem to desire. The first is Rotosound 66's. These have the stainless "snap", but I find them also to have a nice, deep bottom end, and a pretty thumpy attack for rounds.

I also like Ernie Ball Slinkys. I haven't tried their stainless sets, but the nickels are very nice. They have a nice, clean top, and good bass response.

I don't think you're going to like half-rounds if you want top-end bite. I wouldn't call them "edgy".