Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My first set of flats.....

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by unharmed, Jun 1, 2004.

1. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    I put a set of Rotosound jazz flats on my fretted 4 the other night.

I haven't spent much time playing on them yet but I like the sound already. Deep and clear compared to the DR rounds I had on before.

I am finding them a bit hard on my fingers, though, and a little 'sticky'. Does this pass as they wear in?

2. Congrats on jumping in! Glad you like the tone. I haven't been brave enough to switch over just yet :D.

3. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Come on you know you wont to, and then you'll forget to change your strings, and they'll get nastier and crudfilled, and you tone with get bigger, meatier, warmer and greasier ....AH HA HA HA HA AH HA HA HA HA AH HA HA HA HA AH HA HA HA HA [we need an evil smily face]

4. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

Flats just get better with age, the stickyness should go away soon. They will need time to break in, and as they do, your tone will improve. Just think of the $'s you'll save not having to buy those "other strings" when they go dead.

5. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    It's funny, the other day I realized I hadn't changed the strings on my fretless in seven years, the tone is still lovely. Usually I wait for one of the strings to snap [they rust through:D] before I change them. :smug:

6. Though I like their roundwound SS strings for their tight tension, I tried a set of RS flats on my Musicman fretless...
    Ouch...I started getting cramps on my left hand.

I promplty put the TI Jazz Flats back on...

7. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    To me RS flats have too gritty of a wrap and more growl then I need, I like D'addario Chromes, IT Jazz flats and Labellas.

8. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Well. I've been playing them for a week or so now including a rehearsal last night and I still like 'em.

The stickiness is disappearing and the sound gets better every time.

They do 'feel' like they have more tension than my old rounds. I'm not 100% sure about the physics of that but it's certainly how it appears.

They're staying on. :bassist:

9. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    When I got my first set of flats I also noticed it was a bit sticky feeling. I wiped them down with a D'addario string cleaner set thing. It's just a rag coated in something and then another rag to wipe them off after. The stickyness was gone and I loved them.

10. That wont change the tone of them will it? I mean ,doing it that way VS letting the stickyness of them fade away naturaly?