Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My First Set-up

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MJ5150, Dec 9, 2003.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Never did a set-up before. I play a Spector NS2000/Q5.

I figured it was time for me to learn this stuff. I found the website by Gary Willis, and started reading. I found out my neck was too flat. So, I loosened the truss rod. I also had some problems with fret buzz, so I adjusted the height of my strings. I also adjusted the saddles, and adjusted the intonation. It is in tune, and sounds pretty good now. However, I have a couple questions. I think I did something wrong.

If you look at the height of my strings from the side, the space between the string and the first fret is maybe the width of a credit card. At the fifth fret, it is about almost triple that, and by the ninth fret it is 1/4". From the ninth fret to the end, it is about the same. Does that sound like I messed something up? Is the space supposed to be the same all the down the neck?

-Mike

2. Well....... technically speaking, YES.

http://www.mrgearhead.com/faq/basssetup.html

Action

Players with a light touch can get away with lower action, others need higher action to avoid rattles. Check tuning. Using the 6" ruler, measure distance between bottom of strings and top of the 17th fret. Adjust bridge saddles to the height according to the chart, then re-tune. Experiment with the height until the desired sound and feel is achieved.

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Once AGAIN Treena coems up with an excellent link! Thank you!

Well, it appears I have screwed up my bass big time. Darn! I was really hoping I could do this properly. At this time of night, I can not make adjustments and play it to see how it sounds. I will have to wait till morning. I doubt I will sleep with this weighing on my mind. :(

-Mike

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Any more opinions?

-Mike

5. stuie86

stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    mike i totaly know what your talking about.

after reading thro that link ive realized after all this time playing i know almost nothing about the the other things i should be consered about other then playing. well ive got time on my hands i guess its time to start studying.

i wish i could do my own set up, but even if i learned every thing about it i would be afraid to do it, i dont want to mess up one of my babys. you know?

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    ok, i am not the only one.....well, i think i failed in my first attempt to set up my bass.....that nearly quarter inch gap from the fretboard to my strings at the 12th fret has me concerned......i am taking it to a music shop tomorrow to have it checked out by a pro.

:bawl:

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    well, i just got back from my local music shop, where the guitar tech laughed at me, he is a friend, so he wasn't being rude....seems i had over-adjusted the truss rod, causing a reverse bow in the neck....he looked down the neck of the bass and started laughing, and asked me who did the adjustment....i started to tell him that i bought it that way, but he noticed that the plate was missing over the truss rod adjustment, and he knew it was me.....he fixed it for me.....

word of advice to guys like me just learning to set-up your bass.......do NOT adjust the truss rod very much

now my action is a little higher than i like, but he said i should leave it high so i don't mess up harmonics....whatever that is

-Mike