Finally did my first setup today. Since I began my musical journey 3 years ago, in a year and a half of guitar (it didn't go well), a year of mandolin (it went a lot better) to the past six months of bass guitar (I finally found my instrument) I've always depended on others to set up my instruments. I picked up a virtually mint condition - bought by a kid who played it for a month and then sat in a gig bag for 7 years -Squire Affinity P-Bass last Tuesday for literally the price of a set of strings. The action was incredibly high and it was covered in stickers, but otherwise the bass was in pretty nice shape. Had my bass lesson last week and asked the instructor to show me how to set it up instead of the usual half hour lesson. We did what we could in half an hour and he gave me the basics of setup. We didn't adjust the relief in the neck because he did not have the right Allen key and 'it looked OK', but we lowered the action as much as we could and covered the principles of truss rod adjustment. It was 100% better than when I picked it up but still not right. Action was still too high and it had a few buzz issues... still sounded pretty good despite that and was pretty nice to play. This morning I had more time so looked up on TB the sticky on how to set up a bass, which directed me to the Fender website. I printed out Fender's instructions and specs for setting up a bass and headed down to the hardware store to pick up the necessary tools they suggested. I won't go into all of the details of the setup in order to make a long story slightly less long. Suffice to say that I followed the Fender instructions to the letter and used my newly purchased feeler guages, steel ruler etc. to set everything EXACTLY to the specifications described in the instructions. As it turned out the neck had too much relief... apparently eyeballing only goes so far - setting it to the correct relief made a BIG difference. Intonation, string height and pickup height etc. were pretty straightforward once I got the neck adjusted correctly. Again I set everything to Fender's specs. I also tightened and put Loc-Tite on the output jack. Once all done, everything looked pretty good and the action was significantly lowered so I took out onto the deck, plugged into and amp and played it. If ever a project I have undertaken has worked out this was the one. The bass plays amazingly well. The action is crazy low and virtually perfect. Rattles, string buzzes etc. that previously existed are gone other than it could have better strings. I did not change strings because I wanted to make sure everything was OK on the bass before spending money on it and I know the history of the bass so these are definitely the stock strings from 2005. They show some corrosion spots but look very clean and stay in tune. Basically they just seem like the tinny strings that come stock on new Squier basses. I was going to change the strings but the bass plays so well now that I may wait and enjoy it as is for a bit. Anyway... I'm really stunned... it was that easy. This is going to save me a ton of dough over the years. I'm supposed to bit up a slightly beat up Fender Precision next weekend that needs some TLC so this was a great confidence builder for that project. If I can get it set up like this Affinity it will be a steal.