Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My first setup

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MTBassist, Jun 10, 2002.

1. I finally tried out my first setup ever on a bass. It's time for me to learn it on my own, then getting it done by someone else. Saves money and I learn more :)

Anways. I replaced my stock Fender J-Bass bridge with a Bad Ass II Bridge. Easy drop in replacement. Then I put my new strings on. Instantly I had to lower the saddles on the bridge because they were set really high and my action was WAY to high. So I adjusted those down lower, almost as far as they could go. Then I noticed my action was still kinda high. So I messed my intunation. That got it a little bit better. But here is where I run into my problem......

My action from the first fret down to the middle is fine, but when you get down to like fret 12 or higher, the action is higher. I'm kinda confused on HOW i get the action even all the way down the neck. Can anyone offer some tips or tricks? This is my first setup so be easy on me :p

Thanks for any help ANYONE can give me!!

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    sounds like a truss rod adjustment is in order...you have too much relief in your neck, or too much "bow" so to speak. loosening your truss should straighten the neck out a little giving you better action. do this at small intervals, and give you neck/truss rod some time to settle. this has been discussed several time in the past, so do a search and you may find a lot more information. did you replace the strings with the same brand/guage that was on originally? that could also be the cause of the change in tension in your neck.

3. I'll definitly run a search on adjusting the truss rod.

To be honest im not sure what size strings were on there before I replaced them, but what you said makes sense to me. Thanks for your time.

Cya

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, no problem, man...just bear in mind that with different string guages comes different tension...and even similar guages between different brands yield different tension...then you have taperwound strings that will cause your string to be closer to the neck...so many factors to consider. good luck, man

5. ahpook

ahpook

Jul 13, 2001
    do you have grooves cut in your badass for the strings ? as i recall they don't usually come pre cut.

before tweaking your truss rod, i'd look into cutting some grooves......as it is at the moment, if the strings are resting ontop of the saddles your action will be very high compared to your old bridge.

as a caveat - there is a debate as to wether cut grooves in a badass or not - some seem to get on ok without...maybe a search here might give you more info.

the price of a badass is too high in the uk, but i reckon i'd go down the groove path myself if i culd afford the bridge.

:)