my first shots at computer recording

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by wotnwhy, May 7, 2004.

1. i've just finished recording some pieces with my new recording eqiupment and though i'd share them with you.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/wotnwhymusic.htm

for those interested, this is the stuff i used:

OLP 5 string - sansamp RBI - phonic mixing desk - audiophile soundcard - cubase VST 4

this is my first attempt at computer recording, and they're both fairly long pieces (just over 4 minutes each) recorded in 1 go so they're not perfect, but hey.

let me know what you think!

Tom

2. Maybe it is just because I was listening with headphones but I noticed a fair bit of noise on those tracks (ie. hum or buzzing sound).

Unfortunately I am not familiar with Cubase, but I can tell you how I get rid of this noise using Cool Edit Pro. First, I will record a few seconds without playing so I can capture just the noise. Then, under their transform options they have an option for noise reduction. Under this option I can click "get a profile from this selection" and then save it. I can then open up what I had previously recorded and load that profile for this wave and it will remove all the unwanted noise. I'm sure Cubase has a similar feature.

3. thanks for that. there is a little noise on the tracks (i made the mistake of facing my monitor whilst recording, among other things), thanks for the tips. i'll have a look and see if cubase has a similar feature.

so what did you think of the tracks?

Tom