1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My first sing and play song....

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Busker, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    And I did read Jive1's sticky thread, or much of it anyway. Thanks Jive1 ! Lots of good advice in there.

The new country band I joined wants me to step out and sing a song or two. That is something I've never had to do as a bass player. Other bands have been satisfied with me being mute. Is that because I'm not a great singer? Naw, that couldn't be it.:bag: The female lead singer will sing perhaps 85% of the songs, the lead guitar player maybe 10%. That leaves a song or two for me. Maybe the drummer will sing one too.

Anyway, I'm almost there with one song, and I'm getting the playing & singing at the same time thing down. Good thing they only want a song or two from me though. I haven't tried to memorize any lyrics in years and it is work!

2. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    :)

Good luck! Choose songs in the beginning that are easy to sing and play at the same time, and you should be fine. It takes a while to learn to separate the two, but once you learn it, you don't forget how to do it very easily. :)

3. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    I've got a sum total of two songs I can sing & play: "Golden Brown" by The Stranglers, and "Afghamistam" by Botch. I don't think bass gets any more basic than that :)

c-

4. Remember, you can always simplify your bass line when you sing and pick it up again between verses (or whatever).

It also helps to practice singing and getting the words down when you're not playing (in the car, in the shower, etc.).

Have fun with it!

5. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    Go for it, you'll have fun, but:
    1) Pick a song that you know the chord changes/harmony like the back of your hand.
    2) Pick a song that you can sing well or change its key so you can sing it well.

Also, the "simplify the bassline and pick it up when you don't sing" is a very, very good tip. Not only will the vocals shine more due to the subdued nature of your playing, the choruses, breaks or solo will sound "fuller" due the song dynamics getting busier.

Another benefit is the ear training and "coolness" factor you get from the crowd the instant you begin to sing. I know that when I'm playing bass only, I'm almost invisble on stage (and I like it that way), but when I pick that mike or harmonica, people start to notice me more.