1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My first Skjold 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vic, May 1, 2006.

1. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    First credits where due:

MANY MANY THANKS to our VERY good friend and TB member Juneau!!!.

He has been faithfully feeding "the drooling mass of future Skjold owners" (a term coined by our own TB member "G", which will surely live in infamy now :D) with pictures and such to help keep our sanity while we wait for our beauties, and doing so purely on his own personal time and server space. Endless props, dude... endless...​

Ok, so it's far enough along I think I can officially at least partially let the cat out of the bag.

This really shoulda' been "my first Skjold", but I ended up getting a used Stage 4 from tombowlus after I pulled the trigger on this one, but before it's finish date.

It's a "Pro" model, but a new version to be officially released soon. I'll check with Pete to see if/when we wanna' release details, but in the mean time, here's "work in progress (WIP)" pics (mostly of the body.)

Oh, and just to be annoying, yeah, this is a second first for me. I got the first Thunderfunk 550-B, and this will be the first of the new model from Pete. I know that's no big deal, but I derive some enjoyment from it. :)

Anyway, the topwood is quilted birdseye, which I've never seen before. Here's the raw wood:

[​IMG]

Here's a short video which shows the grain off a bit better. Even tho the pics below are naptha'd, it's still kinda' hard to see due to the nature of this figuring:

Quilted Birdseye Video

And then the body...

I can't recall the dark lam under the top, but the body is Pete's usual lightweight and very resonant ash (what some would call "swamp" ash, but I think I'm learning that's a dubious term). Currently, the finish is slated to be sort of an antique burst with a light amber as the core color... just enough to bring the grain out:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The neck...

The neck will be three piece maple, but will have a matching headstock lam.

The Fingerboard will be the middle one in this picture. It's Pao Ferro, but a very unusually figured one. Pete says it also has some nice iridescence to it. I'm sure it will look much better when finished/oiled, as well, but this pic does a good job of illustrating how it looks compared to typical Pao Ferro and also a regular chunk of Macassar Ebony at the same raw stage:
    [​IMG]

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    My pleasure on the pics Vic :)

3. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

VERY nice! I've always loved the sound of lightweight ash, or swamp ash, or whatever it's called... warm with plenty of high end snap from my experience... and really lightweight.

Cool!

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    can't go wrong with birdseye and ash! congrats!

5. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Oh, and it will have some of Pete's exquisite custom wood knobs as well. :)

Ken: :spit: :D

6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Ha! They will look great!

7. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Please hurry with the details of this 'new' Pro series bass... I'm doing all I can to restrain myself from ordering a Skjold before my bank account can take the hit, and so I'm especially interested in seeing what this new line offers.

Oh, and congrats on what I'm sure will be a beautiful instrument!

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That baby is going to sing when Pete gets done with her! I must say, following all the basses in this particular batch from Pete Skjold, I honestly feel that this group will end up being very special basses across the board. :cool:

Congrats!!! :)

Tom.

9. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    Looking very nice Vic, and I'm not a huge fan of Maple! I think that top looks killer! Nice score. You seem to have really good taste in basses.

10. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    NICE VIC! CONGRATS!

11. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, La Bella Strings, and 64 Audio IEMs
    Sweet bass! I love the look of birdseye maple...

12. Basso Gruvitas

Basso Gruvitas Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth TX
    Congrats Vic! Yours is VERY new by the looks of the new recessed jack that Pete has just incorporated.

Are you getting the 2-band or the 3-band with the bells and whistles?

It should really smoke!!:bassist:

13. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Congrats Vic.
    I can`t wait to see that bass finished !

14. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    In good time... soon...

However, if you're "on the fence" about a Skjold, don't be. I view this as a particularly GREAT time to get into a Skjold. Pete has made some fairly significant changes over the last year that have resulted in some very nice improvements in his basses. I don't see as many changes coming from now on, tho you can count on continuous improvement.

The reason I say now is a particularly great time is because his popularity/demand has only now really started to grow, and I see this as a continuing trend. With that, usually also comes some inflation, so at this point, you can still get his basses at a somewhat "undervalued" price.

Jeez, way to take all the fun out of it, you bastage. ;)

A BIG +1 on that, and judging by the way Pete's going, it gets BETTER from here (if you can imagine that). :eek:

Thanks, yep, and ummm... TBA (respectively) :D

15. Sweet looking bass Vic. And it being the "first" of it's kind is always cool.

Looking forward to following the progress and reading your impressions of it.

16. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Skjolds are a nice value, and that bass looks killer.

You don't see many birdseye tops, and that one looks sweet!

So I take it that the 535 is up for sale? ;)

17. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Very cool Vic, I take it your getting rid of that ugly Roscoe? The other cool thing is while the right wood knobs give you a warm sound, you can switch to aluminum knobs to get that "Marcus Miller Funk sound". The secret is in the knobs, all this talk about spatted tops and quilted maple. The knobs is where a good bass gets it's sound!:D

PS: Ken and Mike and I are getting together tomorrow, the whole purpose is to determine if the Glock is all it's cracked up to be.

18. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Ooh, I look forward to hearing the results! :)

19. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Yeah, yet again, I'm a slob and got lucky. In talking to Pete about this bass, I found out he has some pieces of exotic topwoods he reserves for his instruments (he also resells exotic woods, as you probably know, but some might not). Well, he had three pieces of this stuff, one already went to a 5 string whaleback, whose picture is what sold me on the piece... originally, I was thinking burl or quilt (my usual faves).

LOL! Which one? The solidbody or the Marilyn? :)

Regardless, even tho I can't help you there, if I'm ever fortunate enough to see you at a GTG someday, I'll make sure to bring it so you can play it as much as you want. I always love hearing other players play on my stuff... especially proficient ones... it's like being introduced to a whole new voice in the instrument you never heard before.

20. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Uhhhh, no. :)

You're RIGHT! ;) By the way, could you speak a little softer please? :D :bag:

Oh, this should be good. I'm all over that thread... :D