1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My first song :)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by parmezans, Jan 12, 2012.

1. parmezans

parmezans

Nov 25, 2011
    On February 5. it will be one full year of relationship with my girlfriend. :)
    I'm playing bass for almost 4 months now, and classical guitar for somewhere more than a year. I'm mostly self-thought.
    I first wrote the lyrics and the simple B-A-E chord progression 6 months ago and sang it for her 18th birthday playing it on acoustic.
    From then on, the idea of turning that into my first full song has been lingering around my head. So when I started playing bass, I developed a few bass lines I could use... and I found a friend who wants to be a producer, so he's into that stuff. We recorded it with basic equipment, pretty much. Some cheap microphone, a basic Line6 DI, and some headphones. A Squier Standard Jazz and some mid range Ibanez guitar. We did the drums in some program, I can't recall witch one. I played the bass. I played rhythm guitar, as well. He did the fills and the solo, the fills were basically all my ideas and he came up with the solo, (which uses a part of Beat It by MJ), and he's playing for 10 years so I had to tell him to simplify it so it sounds like something I could play. I also did the main and backing vocals.
    Here it is *LOOK DOWN A FEW POSTS FOR THE LINK*

Your opinion means a lot to me, especially about the bass part. Because we didn't have a lot of time (it took us 10hrs), I didn't really dial in the tone I wanted, he just set it up to his likings. I don't think the bass tone is prominent enough and I'm not sure it cuts through well enough, especially since he obviously cranked the bass on his guitar EQ, which I don't like. (He's primarily a metal player, so that might be why he did it.) What do you think about the mix? I wanted to get a more mid ranged, slightly more trebly, bridge open tone focused sound.

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Can you load it to a free streaming site?

3. parmezans

parmezans

Nov 25, 2011
    Yeah, I figured people won't view it this way. :D
    The thing is, it's for my girl, and she can't find out until February 5th. But I'll try to cover it up...
    Oh, there's an option to view it only by link. :D Awesome! Here it is!
    Pesma123.wmv - YouTube
    It's in Serbian, btw, but that doesn't musically matter right now.

4. gleventhal

gleventhal

Nov 30, 2011
    It is fun, it kind of has like a clash/Operation Ivy feel. For a first song, I would say you're off to a great start! The bass playing sounds good and I like the tone you are getting. I can't tell what language you are singing in though, so if it is English, maybe you need to be a little more clearly. Good Job!

5. parmezans

parmezans

Nov 25, 2011
    Thank you for your feedback! :)
    It's not in English, it's in Serbian. :p
    Glad you liked the tone, my Squier Standard Jazz plays like a dream.

6. Wow, glad to hear it's in Serbian....tried way to hard to hear it in English and it hurt!

If the Cars ever stage a comeback in Serbia, I think you've got a new opener for them.

7. parmezans

parmezans

Nov 25, 2011
    Wow, thanks, bit a bit falling over myself over here.. :)
    I might get a chance to re-record it. I want to tweak a lot of stuff, the first one being gutar bass.

8. eulogy77

eulogy77

May 14, 2008
    good job, I like the ska drive, im sure she will like it, let us know how it went

9. parmezans

parmezans

Nov 25, 2011
    Update:
    I recorded the song again, with a new bass line, tweaked a lot of stuff, used a different guitar for the solo, added some ukulele fills at the end... It's now top quality, give it a listen. :)
    My Movie - YouTube