1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My first Stingray..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by quadrogong, Dec 5, 2006.

1. quadrogong

quadrogong

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Been waiting for this one for a long time, in exactly this color..white on white..
    and out of nowhere, someone chimed in with it..:hyper:

Any advice/pointers on getting classic tones from this baby?

2. Dviper

Dviper

Aug 24, 2004
    New York, USA
    DAYUM that thing is Hooootttt. Love the color, looks like royalty.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    White with gold hardware? Where? How? I don't recall EBMM ever making any with gold hardware up until 2006.

Anyway, she's certainly a looker. Congrats.

4. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    nice bass, is that gold hardware stock or aftermarket?

5. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

Sep 9, 2006
    nice looks like its a early one since it has the mute.

6. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    New Jersey
    Its not early, because the headstock has the newest logo on it. I would guess it is aftermarket hardware, but I am not sure where you could get a gold, old style bridge after market.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yeah, it is an conundrum that doesn't make sense to me either.

Could you post close ups of the bridge, headstock logo, and neckplate? I'd really be interested in figuring out the heritage.

8. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    That's a '92 or later, it's got the Flea bridge on it. Looks like someone had the original parts gold-plated.

9. Rocinante_x1

Rocinante_x1 Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    Nope. The headstock says MusicMan Sting Ray.... this may be an early MM afterall

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    By my estimates that would put this about '92-94 but I could be wrong. And gold plating the original parts seems feasible. Would still love to see detailed pics.

11. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    That's really really tiny, how'dja catch that?

12. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    New Jersey
    No, that is the current logo. Brad and Tim's assessments would seem to be right.

13. clavefa

clavefa Te Traigo El Tumbao

Even a pic of the back might help
    If the battery cover is the screw on metal or the black snap in would help pin point the year.

14. Great bass! Grats.

15. Damn I want to just try one. I heard they take half a year to arrive after ordering, whats up with that?

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    That's if you custom order one. Usually not that long, I know the custom Dargie Delights took that long... and other limited editions. IIRC a few months is standard. I believe EBMM builds all their instruments to order and doesn't stock them. Dealers order them and stock them, but EBMM doesn't.

There's a good chance you can find what you're looking for at e a dealer. I know I WON'T find the EBMM I'm looking for at a dealer because I want the least popular option: 2 band EQ.

17. 6pack Jon

6pack Jon

Jul 6, 2006
    Queens, NY
    Its a EBMM probally 90's. It has the truss rod wheel at the bass of the neck. As for early or later 90's depends on finish on the back of the neck and the battery compartment.

18. clavefa

clavefa Te Traigo El Tumbao

I prefer the 2 band also.
    I owned 2 Rays and both were 2 band, except for the SR5 of course

19. phatduckk

phatduckk

May 24, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    yup, thats right on the money. EBMM does not make a bunch of black stingrays assuming they will be ordered soon. When a dealer orders a bass, then it goes in a queue and then it gets made.

there's a lot of dealers that have a bunch in stock (like www.basscentral.com) so you should be able to find an EBMM you like, especially with all the internet sales sites. if you order one to your specs from a dealer then you're in for about a 5-6 month wait.

20. nls666

nls666

Jul 31, 2005
    The Netherlands
    I bought a new black 2EQ stingray end 2003, but it appears that the one I got was already build in Jan 2001!? So possibly it spend some time at the Benelux dealer... indeed not very popular :)