1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My first sub on stage.... now spoiled

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bredian, May 2, 2015.

1. Bredian

Bredian

Apr 22, 2011
    Club gig last night at one of our regular spots. Have been putting my rig together for a bit. Currently using a Carvin BX1500 that will bi amp to a pair of internal 300 watt power amps. 2x10 neo Genz Benz rated at 450 watts that I have used alone a few times has plenty, but it and every other cabinet was missing the low HZs at any volume levels. (I've used 15" with horns, 8x10s bi-amped, 4x10s, etc without this result).

The sub is a BFG Tuba24 with a Rockford Fosgate 10" subwoofer speaker .... I crossed over somewhere 150-200 hz and kept cutting the power back to the 2x10....as the upper register needed less and my 2x10 was now nearer to ear level on top of the sub.

Chest thumping... a bit of a haul and awkward, but wow.

2. That will give Count Bassy a hurry along.

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i'm curious as to what the other guys in the band really thought about that, what they said when you weren't in earshot...

4. Jhclark

Jhclark

Jul 13, 2014
    Philadelphia
    It's only a 10" sub, so I can't imagine it looks flashy or out of place. Depending on the genre, I don't think I'd complain at all.

5. Bredian

Bredian

Apr 22, 2011
    LOL... The drummer said "turn down the singer" and of course I'm right next to him and offered to turn down my output also.. which he said no. We also run my output through the PA (line 6 including subs under the mains) and run his kick into that also. My goal was to get my stage volume down a little, but still hear myself, while increasing the bottom, not the mush.

6. fair warning, your stage sub serves up mud in the FOH sound. Ask BFM if you don't believe me.

7. Bredian

Bredian

Apr 22, 2011
    Thanks for the heads up... found that post of BFMs.... that probably falls in the same category as placing all your subs in a single cluster in the center front of stage....

Looks like I need to cut the crap, raise or tilt my 210 for hearing, move the T24 into my living room, and work with my PA subs to make mo better lows for the band.... hmm.

I remember I started working on this rig when the prior band I played in was doing small gigs without subs, new band has subs.

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  8. Isn't that Rockford an auto subwoofer??

SBsoundguy and agedhorse like this.
  9. Bredian

Bredian

Apr 22, 2011
    Yes, the speaker itself is, but it met the parameters for a great price according to the guy I bought from. Model is discontinued RFD2210. The builder was Bruce Gavin, a known subwoofer guy and associate of BFM. (the driver weighs 18#)

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  10. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Top notch sub design and builder. Furnny how a single BFM 10" sub can blow away a whole stack of 10". Would be great if your FOH didn't already have subs.

How complex is your FOH? If there's cardioid subs (one facing backwards) it could be cutting down the lows you hear. Or as you said, you have the main subs separated and you're standing the power alley.

11. Bruce Gavin I'm familiar with. Using a Car sub on stage is not what the driver was designed for. They're cheap for a reason.

12. Bredian

Bredian

Apr 22, 2011
    At first glance...I would think that. What he said way back: (and BTW, the list price was $130 per driver vs almost the same today for an equivalent wattage Kappa 10)

13. Bredian

Bredian

Apr 22, 2011

We have been using a new Line 6 system. It has 2 x 1200 watt 212 subs that are typically located under the mains... about 20' apart.

14. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Subs on stage are very fun for the bassist.
    A "thumbnail" rule here is to carry a bi-amped rig if we are going to a new place with either questionable FOH or operator of FOH. For those, if a walkaround in the audience finds no bass then my rig will provide it.

If the system and operator are good, a Behringer kickback with a 12" aluminum speaker(Hartke clone) is used pointed at one ear & set to produce mids + highs only. FOH subs provide lows along with the drummer's monitor(QSC's newer monitors are good for that). We did a benefit show Saturday where only my pedalboard and the 12" got used(DI wet to FOH). Sounded lovely on stage(bass you could hear and feel from FOH subs) but I walked out to the soundboard and he had me smothered to sound like "all bass should sound". Kaint win 'em all. Audience enjoyed the mix, I enjoyed the stage sound.

15. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
  16. Bredian

Bredian

Apr 22, 2011
    YEP - but honestly whenever we've worked with a FOH operator, subs are present. Its the "all bass should sound" issue that is the battle.... Even my own pro sound guy who "loved my tone" while he was drumming in my last band would defer to the presets and make it sound like "the '64 Precision with foam mute intact in the bridge cover"

I will likely stay light and leave the sub home and continue to work one the PA sub mix.

Yes, I am now watching their videos for tips.... more than likely I am still very close to the original preset.

17. Bredian

Bredian

Apr 22, 2011
    OR I could bolt on a seat, charge $5 per ride?

BassmanPaul likes this.
  18. Now that was funny!! :D