Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My first submission

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by proximityeffect, May 20, 2005.

1. proximityeffect

proximityeffect

May 17, 2005
    Southeast
    Hi there. I'm new to the forum and new to playing bass. I've been playing sax and trombone professionally for a long time, but have taken up bass in the past year and a half. The submission I have was recorded May 14. It features two guitars, drumset and myself on bass on a familiar jazz standard. There is no bass solo (I'll not inflict that upon you yet...)
    The sound isn't great, as it was taken from the live board direct to two track.
    Any helpful comments would be appreciated.
    Thanks,

http://homepage.mac.com/kevindjones/iMovieTheater4.html

(requires quicktime for PC or Mac)

2. joe_sorren

joe_sorren

Apr 7, 2005
    arizona
    Yes, I agree with Jason, great playing. thanks for sharing it.

Is the instrument an EUB?

3. proximityeffect

proximityeffect

May 17, 2005
    Southeast
    Thanks for your comments so far. Due to pretty bad tendonitis in my left
    arm (from playing the saxophone many hours a day for 25 years) I have switched from my 1950's era Kay bass to a KYDD UEB. Although the sound is not near as full as an URB, it is actually much better than was recorded at this concert.

As a novice level bass player, I'm still working on having a fluid technique while walking choruses for a five (or fifteen) minute mid or up-tempo tune. (the sketchy timing Jason is referring to) Intonation is finicky on the Kydd as the tone is less complex than an URB tone, and you have to be dead on all the time, whereas there is a little bit of give on a real bass (if you've transcribed any Carter or Brown, you know what I mean).
    I'm open to any suggestions that you may have, and I'm learning a lot just going through the old posts and listening to some of the examples of the fine players here on the board.
    kevin