My First SX Mod. Part Reccommendations Please?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BluesyRocker, Sep 1, 2009.

1. BluesyRocker

BluesyRocker

Aug 22, 2009
    Well here she is the sx standard series. just got her back from the hock shop $100.00 aud with the missing string and all lol, neck is good plugged it in just too test and everything works. I was actually surprised that the guitar actually feels half decent too play. Going too start stripping it tonight. Just want some reccomendations on what parts you guys have used to mod yours that have worked well, any hardware reccomendations will help.
    so far Im looking at Seymour Duncan Pbass's, replace pots and rewire
    Replace machine heads, bridge, possibly the nut. Maybe get a freind to do some art on the scratch plate. Any input will be much appreciated. Oh yeah can I get a number.

[​IMG]

2. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - The Final Frontier.. Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
  3. BassAgent

BassAgent

Dec 2, 2003
    Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Official Artist: Eich Amplification
    Replace the bridge with this:
    [​IMG]
    Gotoh 201.

Replace the tuners with e.g. Schallers or Hipshots.
    Replace the pickup with a Seymour Duncan Quarterpounder.
    Replace the pots with CTS pots.
    Replace the jack with a Switchcraft.
    Get some new strings and a black pickguard.

4. Clean her up, do a setup, change out strings and play her. The most important thing to do, though, is a fret level if it's needed.

5. BluesyRocker

BluesyRocker

Aug 22, 2009
    Thanks Bass Agent

6. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    If it were me.... I would take all the strings off, clean the FB of someone else's "funk", and then string her up, play her for a month or six, and then if anything NEEDED to be replaced, I would replace said item. This, coming from a guy who's owned 2 SX's (still have one of them) and four Birce basses. (still got two of those!)

7. lowtide

lowtide Commercial User

Oct 14, 2006
    Bradenton, Florida
    Owner: Buzzard's Bass Shop
    Install your E string

8. BluesyRocker

BluesyRocker

Aug 22, 2009
    Points taken. I only bought it for a project got another couple of basses to play, redoing guitars is becoming a passtime for me. Ive already stripped her, neck is off, all hardware and pickups are gone, and shes in peices in my cupboard lol. Tomorrow Im going too strip all the paint of the body and decide what colour too paint it, probably do a black stain to get a bit of the wood grain coming through. Its a work in progress :)

9. BluesyRocker

BluesyRocker

Aug 22, 2009
    lol, would be a start wouldnt it.

[​IMG]

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021