My first time. Listening to Jaco even as I type.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by DaveCustomMade, Oct 22, 2004.

1. I just picked up The Jaco Pastorius Ahthology and, . . . and . . .. . .. :eek: :crying: :hyper:
  2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Please, for the love of god, don't try to imitate his style.
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah, he's pretty good isn't he.

4. Don't try because it has been "done to death", or because I'll become SO frustrated TRYING to imitate it?

Before today, I was a 'virgin' when it came to listening to anything that Jaco did, but I heard all the hubbub [Jaco only needed 4 strings] and decided to see what it was all about. Okay, I get it now. :oops:
  5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I tend to prefer his rock / pop stuff most. I just downloaded a show from of Jaco with Jorma. really cool stuff, but it is from the end of things so he doesn't shine quite as brightly... still smoking though!
  6. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    I'm still a Jaco "virgin".
  7. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Who is this Jaco fellow anyway?

8. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Jaco's like Hendrix. Tons of stuff to learn from them, but please, the world already has enough clones. So learn his lines, but learn why he played what he played and why it was so cool in context. Don't just repeat his riffs as it occurs to you.

For example (theoretical- I can't point to any one lick and say he was doing exactly this), you might find that Jaco's really cool lick sounds really cool because he was playing the nine over one chord and the same note becomes the sixth over the next chord. That's a great idea that you can apply to your own playing without just repeating his lick.
  9. I've been doing that for a while [nineth over the chord]. I doubt I'll do very much of the copying. I do find some of his stuff to be quite impressive. It's a good foundation, as well, in hearing a good bass line being laid down.