1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My first time playing solo

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bradass, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Bradass

Bradass

Oct 17, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    Open mic content - so I got myself a Zoom B3 multi-fx pedal about a month or so ago and the loop function has allowed me to work on some fun arrangements with different effects and such. I've got a couple little bass-only instrumentals and this is a video of one of them. I usually play with a band and this is the first time I ever played by myself. Would love to get some feedback from my TB brethren! There are three different layers I add first and then I move to the melody and solo, then finish it off with one more melody line. Hope you enjoy...Go easy on me :bag:

Apologies for the video quality, just an ipod recording...but the sound came out surprisingly good, recommend using headphones or some real speakers though!

2. Bradass

Bradass

Oct 17, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    50 views and nobody has anything to say? :(
    I'm totally open to criticism. Always trying to improve. Speak your minds!

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

It was alright, pretty bland and generic though. I did not care for your solo, pretty much from 2:20 onward.

Your timing was good for the fingerstyle but had a couple spots when slapping (like 99% of people myself included :D)

Your on the right track and you've got the balls to get up there and solo bass, so I tip my hat to you for that. Do you tap? Some folks hate it and I get that, but I think tapping is pretty handy for a solo bassist.

I did however, quite enjoy your TB handle.

4. Cookye

Cookye Supporting Member

I concur with Diabolus. I give you huge credit for doing it but realize you are playing a solo. Every lick that you played could have been a bass line for a song, it wasn't unique or exciting.

5. Bonafide

Bonafide Rodney Gene Junior Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2002
    Austin
    Artist for: Nick Silver Pickups, Free The Tone Effects, Carr Amplifiers, PG Music BIAB, Ethos OD +
    Thank you for sharing...!:)

This isn't a bass 'solo'...with the exception that you are the only instrument. It is however a composition comprised of mutliple tones from your instrument. Compositions need attention.

So...because you don't have virtuoso chops (yet), you need to focus on melody...melody...melody...harmony...harmony...harmony...and basic rhythm

I honestly think you did great. You wrote a piece, you played it live. That is what being a great musician stems from. That in itself warrants self praise and walking with your head high. Rewrite, re-work, keep playing, keep re-writing etc. You will slowly become extraordinary. Remember great songs are seldom written, they are re-written.

This puts you in the catagory of both artist and musician. Keep at it, sky is the limit for you...

Many blessings!!

6. This. Great job man.

7. Good for you! 95% of bass players wouldn't have the balls to get up on a stage by themselves. The more you do it, the better you'll feel.

8. Bradass

Bradass

Oct 17, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    Thanks for the kind words and the critiques. I didn't particularly write this as a "solo" but rather as a "composition" like bonafide said. I wasn't trying to do any kind of ripping solo or anything, just expanding on the main melody line that I start and repeat twice at 2:20. I'm working on a much more in depth recording without using the looper, this was just the "live" version of the song.

As for tapping, no, that's not something I do, not out of choice but because I simply don't know how. That's next on the list of skills to acquire once I feel better about slapping (which I've improved a good bit in the last few months) and once I get more practice with chord tones, etc in the band setting.