1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

my first tubed amp.. suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DaveThomas, Apr 6, 2009.

1. DaveThomas

DaveThomas

May 5, 2008
    hey guys. hoping you can give me some suggestions here..

so right now i have an ampeg b2-re paired up with an ampeg 4x10he and it sounds unbelievable! especially for a solid state! my problem is, my amp just doesnt see to be loud enough.. playing with kids that have jcm900's and 4x12... fun. haha. so i already decided on getting a 6x10 (took me awhile to decide, but thats DONE, just need to find it..) now im on the prowl for a new head.. i know i want it tubed, i know it want an ampeg, just not sure what head... the sound i usually go for is pretty rough with a good amount of clipping. it seems like im kind of between a few amps..

svt-av-70s(not the reissue) great amp. buddy of mine has one and it sounds GREAT! just cant find it anywhere :rollno: not sure if i should wait for this or...

svt 3 pro- almost all the bigger bands we play with has one of these. seems like a solid peice of equipment at a solid price..

svt 4 pro- never got a chance to realy compare the 3 to the 4 pro side by side. is it worth the extra cash for the 4 rather than the 3?

v4- this is what im currently recording with in the studio.. love the tone we got form it, im just not sure its going to be loud enough.. ive read some reviews and heard a decent amout of talk saying this isnt loud enough, but has great tone. im acutally emailing a guy right now about it. $600. im not sure how bass tube watts go, but it would seem 100watts would be loud enough. as long as its just a few notches louder than my b2-re then ill be satisfied.. anyone own this care to share some info on this?

thanks alot for reading and any info/suggestions :)

sean

2. meatwad

meatwad Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    SVT-AV - Same as an SVT-CL, different cosmetics. Great amp, easily found everywhere...

SVT-IIIPRO - VERY underrated around here! Ignore the haters, it's the best bang-for-the-buck Ampeg you can get your hands on. NOT an all-tube head, but is a tube pre/solid-state powered head.

No experience with the IVPRO...

V4 - Won't have the volume you may be looking for, though still fairly loud. Great all-tube tone.

3. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    SVT AVs didn't come out in the '70s - mid '80s at the earliest, I think. They're still great amps, and if you're real concerned about power, that's your pick.

I don't know how efficient your 610 is, but a V4B is a great choice if you're playing with guitarists who don't feel compelled to play 100W amps through 4x12s. If stage volumes are reasonable, a V4B and a pair of 15"s is entirely adequate.

I don't have much positive to say about the 3- or 4- so I won't.

4. DaveThomas

DaveThomas

May 5, 2008
    i know the reissue can be, but im looking for the vintage one. if you could direct me to a link, that would be great :)

do you have any experience with the b2-re? just curious as to how they compare.

thank you both very much for your input!

5. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Have had the exact same experieinces as meatwad
    3pro gets reasonably close to SVT tone
    V4B has better tone than 3pro or SVT IMO; mine never gets used as it just doesn't have enough a$$ for rock

6. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    For a rough tone, the V4 is probably the way to go through a really loud cabinet. The 3 PRO has decent tube growl, not exactly like an ALL-TUBE head. The 4 PRO is a clean version of the Ampeg sound - no tube growl. The SVT - VR, well, I have had some bad experiences with them and I would not suggest it - nor should you wait for one.

V4 - vintage model? or is it the V4B?

7. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Try turning up your mids before selling your amp :)

8. DaveThomas

DaveThomas

May 5, 2008
    very good to know that the 4pro has a more clean sound. not too into that. all signs say i should get the 3 pro (easy to find on craigslist for cheap, sounds great, not unbearably heavy..) but im just so set on getting a vintage looking, non-racked head :bawl:

v4 and v4b are two different heads. from my understanding, the v4 is made for guitar, but sounds great with bass. couple of the differences- v4 has reverb. v4b has ultr-low switch.

9. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    V4 and V4B are both vintage models, the difference being reverb and eq points (and distortion in later models). The V4BH is the reissue.

I use a V4 with a 4x10 and it's plenty loud for me. I've used it previously with a 6x10 and on occassion an 8x10, both of which are great for getting more volume out of this head.

If you're looking for something that's going to give you a ton of power, without question look at an SVT, but it's going to cost you. If you want a decent vintage one, plan to spend around $1500, depending on condition. You can certainly find one cheaper, but the cheaper they get the more work they're going to need.

If you definitely want to go vintage, you can also look into the later 70's models, or the 80's MTI models.

As said above, an SVT-AV is an SVT-CL with the 70's color scheme. IMO, the SVT-VR is better sounding (ie closer to the original) than the SVT-AV/CL amps.

I owned an SVT-CL/610HLF and it was a great pair, but I get enough power and better tone out of my V4/4x10 set up that I use now.

10. DaveThomas

DaveThomas

May 5, 2008
    thanks a lot for the info. from what ive heard from everyone, the v4 is the better sounding ampeg amps. i think i might go ahead and buy it... if anything, i can just use it for recording. im talking to a guy right now that wants $600 for it with, according to him, "brand new" tubes. this a good deal?

11. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    That's a decent price. I paid $450 for mine with a mixed bag of pretty much dead tubes. The one thing to look for with the V4's is what tubes they are running. They are spec'ed for 7027 which went out of production for a while, but came back a few years ago. In that time, some people converted to 6550s (like mine) and some people ran 6L6s (closest tube to the 7027). Most of the ones I've seen are either running 7027s or 6L6s, but just be aware that if there are 6550s in the amp, it may have been modified.

12. DaveThomas

DaveThomas

May 5, 2008